Best Buds

Harry's POV

"Harry!" Cash said excitedly as he ran towards me, holding up his little arms so I could scoop him up.

"Hey, buddy." I smiled as I picked him up and tickled his belly as he giggled.

I looked up to see Kelsey lugging his car seat up the walkway and I immediately put him down so I could help her. She smiled as I took it from her, sighing as she rubbed her pregnant belly and looked down at Cash.

"Sweetie, you be good for Harry, okay? I don't wanna hear that you didn't use your manners." She said sternly as he clung to my leg and nodded.

"Okay, Mama. I promise." He said as he looked up at her.

"Thanks so much for this, Harry. Hailey was gonna take him but she had that photography job today and I didn't want her to miss out on it. She suggested you wouldn't mind, and he practically jumped out of his skin at the possibility of you guys hanging out." She chuckled.

"That's cause we're best buds, right?" I smiled as I picked him back up and he nodded in agreement. "It's not problem at all, take your time. We'll be fine here."

Kelsey nodded and filled me in on all her motherly instructions before she gave Cash a kiss goodbye. She thanked me again before getting back in her car and waving at us as she pulled away, leaving the two of us standing on the front porch waving until she disappeared down the road.

"Well, looks like it's just us now little man." I smiled as I turned and took him back into the house, shutting the door behind us and putting him down.

He headed straight for my guitar that was resting against the wall in the hallway from when I'd done some writing earlier that morning. He carefully inspected it, being sure not to touch as I'm sure he was heeding his mother's warning of using his manners.

"You like guitars, buddy?" I asked as I went over and picked it up, motioning for him to follow me into the living room.

I sat down on the couch and pulled him up with me, resting the guitar on his lap in front of us as I picked up the pick from the coffee table. I softly strummed the guitar as his little eyes went wide and he looked up at me.

"Music!" He said excitedly as I took the pick and put it in his small hand, showing him how to strum it as he watched our hands carefully run over the strings. "Harry, we play music!" He smiled as he looked up at me.

"We'll have to get you your own little guitar, then we can play together." I smiled.

"Okay!" He beamed as he looked back down at our hands while I continued to strum the guitar.

He watched intently, fascinated by how each string made a different noise as I showed him how to make each sound. He looked up at me and giggled when I began to strum faster, excitedly moving his head back and forth to the rhythm.

"Can you sing a song?" He asked as he looked up at me.

I moved him over to sit next to me on the couch, placing the guitar on my lap as I began to play the first song that came into my head. Most of the stuff I knew well was One Direction since I hadn't written that much of my own yet, so I decided on a song that I knew had a steady rhythm that he would like. As I began to sing, I realized the lyrics suddenly meant something different to me than they used to.

There's a lightning in your eyes I can't deny

Then there's me inside a sinking boat, running out of time

Without you I'll never make it out alive

But I know we'll be alright

There's a devil in your smile that's chasing me