Dread

Hailey's POV

"It's about time." I laughed as Sam slid into the booth across from me, out of breath from rushing into the restaurant.

"I'm sorry, it took me forever to get out of there. Give me a break." She laughed as she pulled off her sunglasses and put them on top of her head before grabbing a menu.

We took a few minutes to decide what we wanted, both of us ordering the same thing we always did before Max took our menus and headed off to place our order.

"Alright, so fill me in. I haven't seen you in forever since you're too cool for me all of a sudden." She laughed. "How's Ry?"

"He's good. Just started that new job." I sighed.

"That didn't take long...he just got out of the hospital like three days ago." She said as she took a sip of her water.

"I know, but he had so many offers he just took one I guess." I shrugged.

"I'm sorry, Hails. I know how much the shop meant to both of you." She said softly as she reached over and put her hand on mine.

"Well, it is what it is I guess. Nothing we can do about it now."

"I know, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck." She sighed.

"Yeah...I've been avoiding going by since it happened. I feel like if I actually see it all burnt and boarded up that makes it real somehow. I guess I just wanna pretend a little longer."

"I get that. You take all the time you need." She said sympathetically. "What else is new? You and Harry still pretending you're not perfect for each other?"

I couldn't help but smile at the mention of Harry, and the way she smirked at me across the table let me know she hadn't missed it.

"We don't pretend." I said as she rolled her eyes at me. "We both know we're good for each other, it's just complicated I guess."

"Well, of course. I mean, what's simple about the man of your dreams showing up and completely adoring you." She scoffed. "Come on Hails. I mean, Jesus, the guy pulled your brother out of a fire for crying out loud. Not only was it incredibly brave, but he looked sexy as fuck doing it."

"Let's get real, Harry looks sexy as fuck doing anything." I sighed, my mind wandering to a shirtless Harry before the rest of her words sank in. "Wait...you were there?"

"Yeah, I watched Cash while he went in." She said, realizing that we hadn't had a chance to talk about it since everything happened. "They were coming out of the diner so I went over to say hi, and the second he saw the flames he told Cash to stay with me and took off running. He disappeared inside and came out a few minutes later covered in soot with Ryan over his shoulder."

I'd obviously known Harry pulled Ryan out of the fire, but it was the first time I'd actually heard any details about it. Harry sure wasn't gonna give me any, and Ryan was passed out most of the time so he didn't have many either.

"His arm was totally burnt and blistering and he kept telling them he was fine and to check Ryan. And then Cash was scared and ran straight to Harry. He was so good with him, reassuring him that everything was fine and making sure he was okay. Cash wouldn't let go of him the whole way home."

I sighed as she recounted the details, hating the idea that it even happened but being comforted that Harry was there and everyone was okay. I couldn't understand how he couldn't see that what he did was a big deal, that what he'd done for my brother and his family was something he should be proud of. If anything, it just enhanced the feelings I had for him which was the last thing I needed.