Gone

Hailey's POV

I burst through the doors of the emergency room, my heart feeling like it was gonna pound out of my chest, as I sprinted towards the front desk. It felt like I hadn't taken a breath the entire way there, my mind racing as I tried not to completely panic.

"Yes, hi." I said breathlessly. "My name is Hailey Robertson, someone called me about my brother Ryan." I said, fighting back tears as I said his name.

I'd just come down off the mountain after an all day photo shoot when my phone finally got reception and I got all the missed texts and calls. I checked my voicemail and I had a message from the hospital saying there had been a fire and my brother was inside. My heart immediately dropped and I'd spent the 20 minute drive desperately trying to get a hold of Kelsey to no avail.

"Room 207." The nurse said and I sprinted down the hallway towards his room.

I stopped when I reached the door, terrified to go inside. I didn't know what I would find on the other side, and the thought of seeing my brother anything but healthy and happy was the scariest thing I could think of. He was my big brother, he'd always looked out for me and protected me, and when things happened that he couldn't protect me from he made sure that I never felt alone. He'd kept me safe and bought me my first camera, he was my superhero and I'd always looked up to him. He'd been there for me through so many things, and in reality he was really all I had left. He and Gram were the only blood I had, and as much as I didn't want to accept it, I knew she wouldn't be around forever. The very thought of him being hurt was killing me, and I couldn't even let myself think of losing him. I knew there was a possibility that opening that door might completely shatter my life, and it felt like as long as I didn't open it I could pretend for a few more minutes that everything was okay.

I closed my eyes tightly and took a deep breath, my shaking hand hovering over the doorknob. I was trying to get the courage to turn the knob when the door opened, Kelsey standing in front of me. She jumped a little, not expecting me to be standing there, and I felt my eyes pool with tears as I looked at her. Her eyes were red-rimmed, it was obviously she'd been crying and I felt the lump in my throat get bigger as we stood there looking at each other.

"Hey, Sweetie." She said softly with a sniffle. "I was just gonna go call to check on Cash."

I just stood there, frozen, and trying to remember to breathe. It felt like I hadn't taken a real breath in hours and my entire body was shaking as I tried to bring myself to look past her into the room. I couldn't tear my eyes from hers, scared I might catch a glimpse of something I didn't want to see in the room. I wanted to ask her, to hear her tell me that he was okay, but I couldn't bring myself to say anything because I knew I might not want the answer. As I stood there, trying to get the courage to speak, I heard a cough from behind her that I immediately knew was Ryan and felt a tear escape my eye and fall down my cheek.

"I'll give you two a minute, I'll be right back." She said as she reached up and wiped the tear from my cheek, softly running her hand down my arm as she stepped past me and into the hallway.

I closed my eyes tightly, trying to take a deep breath as I stood in the doorway. I wiped the tears from my face as I tried to compose myself, not wanting to worry him if he was awake. I could feel my entire body shaking as I slowly stepped into the room and he came into view as I stepped around the curtain. I did my best to hold back the tears that filled my eyes at the sight of him, sitting up in his bed and laying his head back as he looked at the ceiling.

He must have sensed I was there because he lifted his head to look at me, a small smile creeping across his face.

"Hey, Bug." He said softly.