My Favorite

Hailey's POV

I laid in my bed, staring out at the stars, as I tried to forget how empty the bed felt without Harry. I didn't like the way I'd left things, but leaving was the only thing I could think to do. I wasn't mad that Harry had punched Brad, in fact I appreciated it, but I hated that he'd done it in front of his sister after the disastrous way things had gone since his family had arrived. I knew it wasn't like Harry to fight someone, and I felt like it was just gonna be another way he was changing and that they'd think it was my fault. It also didn't help that Brad had basically told Gemma I was a whore, and she didn't know me well enough to know any different.

I just wanted to make a good impression, and I wanted them to like me. Whether Harry and I were just friends or not, he was one of the most important people to me in the world and I knew how important his family was to him. I knew our little situation was already a bit strange, and I just thought I could make a good impression before the questions started.

I heard my back door slowly open and close, and although I probably should have been alarmed, I wasn't. I knew exactly who it was, and I knew exactly why they were climbing my stairs and trying to be quiet. A few minutes later, I felt my bed shift as he climbed in next to me and pulled me into him, the skin of his bare chest warm and comforting against my back.

"I know you're awake." He said quietly into my ear as he rested his head on top of mine. "Please don't be mad at me."

He laced his fingers between mine as he pressed a soft kiss to my shoulder, and I closed my eyes tightly as his lips grazed my skin.

"What if I was asleep?" I sighed.

"If you were, I'd look like a proper wanker." He laughed lightly. "But I knew you weren't. I know you too well."

I shifted in his arms, rolling over to face him as he rested his forehead against mine, looking at me apologetically.

"You hate fighting with me as much as I hate fighting with you." He said simply. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you."

"I know. I'm sorry I left like that. I probably just made it worse." I sighed.

"What do you mean?" He asked, genuinely confused.

"Well now I probably just look like a bitch on top of everything else." I said, annoyed with myself. "I was just embarrassed that he said all that in front of your sister after everything, but I shouldn't have just left. I'm sorry."

"Bear, I knew why you left. I get it. It's okay." He said as he reached up and tucked my hair behind my ear. "I missed you though."

I laced my fingers through his, taking in his finger that was now swollen and bruised again after it just healed.

"Look at your finger, you broke it again you idiot." I said, half laughing.

"Yeah, but at least this time I broke it for a good reason. I'd gladly break it on that moron's face, but breaking it because I'm fighting with you was just dumb."

"Wait...what? I thought you broke it fixing up the shop." I said, confused.

"Uh, no. You never actually asked how I broke it so I didn't tell you, cause it was pretty stupid."

I looked down at it, seeing the way his skin was already marbled with black and purple bruises and hating that it probably hurt pretty bad.

"You didn't punch the wall or something, did you?" I asked.

"No...not exactly?" He chuckled.

"What did you do?"

"I'm not even sure how I did it, when you locked yourself in here and I was banging on the door I guess I just hit it too hard or on a bad angle or something." He shrugged.