Space

POV Alana.

Bo was expelled. Not just for fighting but also for having weed on him when the fight accrued on school grounds. Fucking expelled. Expelled damn it! He had to spend two months in juvenilia detention and now owes 200 community service hours. We didn't get to celebrate our 8 month anniversary or go to homecoming together. Not that we planed to go to homecoming at all. I didn't go to visit him and I didn't let my parent or little brother know what was going on. Why I was still protecting him I don't know. But he finally got out today and the first thing he did was come to me.

"Alana Bo's here." I heard my mother call and before I could tumble out of bed and shout in protest he was already opening my door. He slowly shut it behind himself before walking over to my bed sitting on the corner. It was quiet for a moment.

"I called you." He finally said noticing my clear dissatisfaction with the situation as a whole.

"I know." He had his head hung low looking at me through his impossibly long lashes. I quickly looked away hugging my legs to my chest. I can't look at him. I won't be able to think straight.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me. I saw him touch you and I just..." his voice trailed off as he tried desperately to find the words to explain himself.

"I was handling it." I growled under my breath.

"I know. I saw you push his hand away." He looked down at his hands as they sat comfortably in his lap. "It's... just ya know it's my job to keep guys like him away from you so you don't have to deal with them." His job? I am completely capable of handling some guy with a high school crush! If I needed Bo's help I could have asked for it at any time but I didn't.

"You weren't just 'keeping him away!'" I raised my hands adding air quotes to emphasize my point. "You broke his nose Bo! You've been expelled from school!" I shouted looking at him for the first time. "Where do you plan to go? The next high school is almost an hour away. What are you going to do walk there?"

"I wasn't planning on going back." My brows creased with confusion before my mouth dropped finally understanding what he was implying.

"What?!" I screeched. "Your dropping out of school?!" He is crazy. He is fucking insane! How is he going to get a decent job without at least a high school degree? Does he plan to work at Walmart his whole life?! He nervously shook his head yes. I rubbed my temples sighing deeply. "Drinking, smoking, dealing, and now dropping out." I said quietly. "I think..." I paused my next words caught in my throat. "I think we should break up... or take a break at least." I finally said. The heartbreak in his ocean blue eyes was enough to make me want to swallow those words back up. But I tried to stay strong for myself.

"If it bothers you that much I'll go back to school I swear. Just please let's talk about this." He pleaded scooting closer to me. He gently grabbed my hands in his and I wanted more than anything to keep them there but I quickly pulled them away. I looked away from him the look he was giving me completely heart breaking. "Alana..."

"We shouldn't fight to be together just to fight again. We need to take a break from us to make us right again." I admitted. He's becoming more trouble than he's worth. I just need some time to step back and assess the situation without him clouding my judgment.

"So... you want to take a break?" He ran a hand through his hair as if my words were finally sinking in. "Okay." He finally said. "I can give you space. Just think about what I said okay?" I felt tears well in my eyes a lump growing in my throat. I bit my lip holding back tears simply nodding my head in agreement. He sighed heavily as he stood up. Walking over to me he leaned over placing a lingering kiss to the top of my head. I had to force myself not to lean into his touch.

"I love you." Gosh is he trying to kill me?! This is hard enough as it is cant he see that?

"I love you too." I said honestly though I still didn't look at him. With that he left and like he'd promised gave me all the space I needed.