Chapter VII Their Aegis

{~_~}

(Y/n)'s POV

He rode away on his horse with his new lance, one of the sacred treasures of Renais, the Sigmund. Him and Eirika both received the twin relics of Renais after it was revealed to them that the sacred stone of Renais was sealed by their bracelets. It's been a day since Ephraim has been gone, and it feels like it's been forever. Presently, I'm staying at castle Frelia with Princess Tana, since with both so lonely without her brother Innes, Eirika, or Ephraim.

"Hey (y/n), I'm thinking about going to aid Ephraim...do you want to come?" Tana asked.

"Isn't that going against your father's wishes? Plus, Ephraim made it clear to me that he still sees me as weak."

"Then prove him wrong by going. I'm leaving in an hour so make up your mind by then." Tana said leaving me.

If I go will Ephraim be mad at me? Even so, I can't bare to be without him again, and I have to prove to him that I'm strong enough to fight in an army! An hour passed by swiftly, and I announced to Tana that I was going.

{~_~}

Tana's POV

I kinda was hoping that (y/n) wouldn't come so I could be the focus of Ephraim's attention, but I guess it's better to have her come with me because if father finds out I'm not here at castle Frelia, (y/n) could have tattled on me had she not have come. It's clear as day that she has feelings towards Prince Ephraim even though neither of us has told each other that. The only one who knows about my feelings towards the prince of Renais is his twin sister, my best friend Eirika. (Y/n) is my best friend too, hence I will not allow a man to tear apart our friendship. I landed my pegasus to where we could see Ephraim and his troops engage in battle. As we were about to proceed closer, the enemy troops spotted us, detained us in a cell, and seized our weapons.

"I'm sorry (y/n), this is my fault." I wept.

"It's okay, I'm sure Ephraim and his army will save us from captivity...although he'll probably be upset at us for coming when we were both told not too." She replied with a hint of optimism in her voice.

Ephraim please hurry...

{~_~}

Ephraim's POV

It looks like our opponents have taken people hostage. From what I could see, it was two women on a pegasus...they could be messengers from Frelia trying to give us more intel on the situation between Grado and the rest of the continent. Nevertheless, as the future king and current prince of Renais, I must save them. I despise people who utilize children and women as hostages, it's such a cowardly tactic.

"Seth, I trust you're able to command our men while I go free those hostages." I told General Seth, whom Eirika insisted on going with me.

"Yes your highness, please be careful."

Effortlessly, I knocked out the two enemy soldiers that were guarding the cell door where the hostages were being held captive. Instead of using the key that unlocked the cell, I used my Sigmund to break open the door so if the enemy tried they couldn't detain anymore people. To my surprise the hostages were Princess Tana of Frelia, and (Y/n).

"Ephraim!" The two of them yelled as they wrapped me in a tight hug.

"What are the two of you—hold, the enemy approaches. Ready your weapons." I instructed them as I spotted our foes in my peripheral vision.

"We don't have our weapons...t-they were stripped from us along with our other personal belongings." Tana said as she looked remorseful.

"Damn...alright you two stay behind me, I'll be your aegis." I cursed as I cut down our opponents.

{~_~}

(Y/n)'s POV

"I'll be your aegis." Ephraim's words lingered in my head as he protected Tana and I. I don't know why, but I was shivering. Was I scared? It's not like I have seen war before, so why? Instinctively without me thinking, I clung onto the prince seeking some sort of coaxing.

"E-ephraim, I'm scared...yet I don't know why." I cried.

"(Y/n), don't grab onto me like that! I almost took damage from my opponent's axe." He scolded me, but then his facial expression went from somewhat mad to compassionate as held me in his arm sheathing me with his long cape.

"T-thank you Ephraim."

He held me like this throughout the whole battle. I could see a hint of jealousy on Tana's face...could that mean she likes the prince as well? It makes sense if she does since in the past she's always tried to serve him when he needed something. Oh, I hope this doesn't tarnish our friendship. The battle concluded with us winning of course, and we were given back our belongings. Before I could go off to celebrate our victory with everyone else, I was pulled aside by Prince Ephraim.

"(Y/n), why did you come after I told you not to?" He asked me.

"Well, I uh..." I was too intimidated by his cold gaze that pierced me to speak.

"Answer me (y/n)!" His voice boomed.

"I'm sorry, I just—I just couldn't bare to be alone! Please don't send me back Ephraim, I promise not to be a burden on you anymore." I wept.

He sighed," Alright fine, how could I say no to you."

I dried my tears," Thank you...oh and Ephraim I have a question."

"Which is?"

"What do you plan to do after this war?"

{~_~}

To be continued in chapter 8, make sure to vote and comment!

I hope you liked this chapter! Also, be sure to read my other books if you're a fan of Kuroko no basket and/or Nanbaka! I am the author of Area 51 (Jyugo x reader), Arrested (Aomine x reader), Kuroko no short stories, Star Crossed (Akashi x reader), and the sequel to Star Crossed called Vengeance and Lust (Akashi x reader)!

Written May 18th,2017
Published July 20th,2017
Next Update July 23rd,2017