Chapter XIII The King's Vessel

{~_~}

(Y/n)'s POV

"S-so after this war reaches it's conclusion, will you be my partner...i-in marriage?!" I boldly asked.

He was taken aback by the question.

"Honestly, what do you and Tana see in me?" He sighed.

"I can't speak for Tana, but I love your thirst for battle, your determination although you can be a bit reckless, your protectiveness towards those who you care for, your stature...the list could go on." I closed my eyes and rambled off a few of the things I love about the prince.

"I'm glad I'm admired by you, but I don't know how to love. Of course, I have love for my family and friends, but that's a different type of love. Don't be dismayed (y/n). Once I find out what romantic love means to me, I'll give both you and Tana my answer." Ephraim replied.

"Fair enough...well I'll be waiting for your answer Prince Ephraim." I smiled.

There's no point getting emotional about this, because he didn't actually reject me. I'm guessing he said something similar to Tana when she professed her love to him since he said he'll give us both an answer when the time comes.

"(Y/n)! I'm back! Huh, brother what are you doing in here?" Eirika cheered as she waltzed into my room.

"I was just checking on (y/n) to see how she was faring, and it seems due to the severity of her wound she shouldn't come with us on our next mission; however, knowing her she'll pester me into allowing her to accompany us." Ephraim smiled at me.

"Really, I can come? Good because I want to help set Lyon free as well. By the time we reach Grado, my wound should be fully mended." I proclaimed.

The twins smiled at me, as we departed from Renais to Rausten to retrieve the remaining sacred stone, and then finally back to Grado. Because I was injured, Ephraim offered to let me ride on his horse, and I gladly accepted his offer. Him and Eirika were given the sacred twins of Renais, a lance and a sword, the Siegmund and Sieglinde respectively, along with horses to ride on. When I'm close to the prince, it makes me feel safe. I really do hope that we're able to become more than partners in battle after this war.

{~_~}

Ephraim's POV

Love...what is love? Both (y/n) and Tana have strong feelings towards me. I love the way they look, and I think they're both rather cute, but is that love or lust? Lust I think. The way (y/n) listed out the things that she liked about me...is that close to the idea of romantic love? I've always thought of (y/n) like a sister since we lived together, and Tana just as the princess of Frelia. I'm in a dilemma because even if I do discover what love really is, I don't want to either of them to be saddened by my decision.

(Y/n)'s warm delicate arms are wrapped around my waist. After knowing that she loves me in a romantic way, I feel different towards when I'm near her. A rush of infatuation crashes over me...is this what love is? Does it always make you feel uneasy? Or is it like my love for combat, like when I feel a restlessness if I don't submit to my urge for battle.

"Brother, look!" My sister cried pointing to a fight between Frelian and Grado soldiers.

"A fight," I said. Hm, Grado is sure persistent even after I took over the capital.

"We have to aid the Frelians, they're our allies and people from my homeland." Innes stated.

As we were about to proceed, a magic circle appeared on the ground, and Prince Lyon was teleported in front of us.

"Lyon! Stop this madness!" I yelled.

"Heh, you should join me Prince Ephraim. With our combined strength, we could have all the power in the world!" Lyon tried to convince me.

"I'm no fool!" I retorted

"Lyon...what happened to you?" Eirika asked in a saddened tone.

"It's like you're not even the same Lyon anymore...w-who are you?" (Y/n) asked.

"Hehehe, you probably heard of me in legends. Do you not recall who is sealed in the sacred stone of Grado? It is I, the demon king, Fomortiis!" The demon in Lyon's body cackled.

"N-no way, release Lyon!" (Y/n) said nervously as she tightened her grip around my waist.

"Foolish girl, this weak friend you call Lyon is already dead. His body was consumed in an instant!" The demon king laughed as he transported away.

"Onward men after the one that resembles Prince Lyon of Grado!" I commanded my army.

"Brother, do we really have to fight Lyon?" Eirika asked me with remorseful eyes.

"He only has the appearance of our former friend, but I'm afraid so."

"I see..." My sister said as she forced herself to fight.

"(Y/n), I want you to stay back with the reserves." I told her.

"Ok Ephraim." She obeyed me as I helped her get off my horse.

She looked so distraught. I know the death of her parents, the betrayal of Lyon, and this war is taking a toll on her. I promise it will all be over soon (Y/n).

"Everything will be alright (Y/n)." I informed as I allowed my hand to stroke her hair.

"Mhm, I know it will because you're leading this army...thanks Ephraim." She gave me a small smile.

Thank you (y/n), those words gave me all the strength I need to fight on in this battle against my childhood friend, and to continue leading this army.

{~_~}

To be continued in chapter 14, make sure to vote and comment!

I hope you liked this chapter! Also, be sure to read my other books if you're a fan of Kuroko no basket and/or Nanbaka! I am the author of Area 51 (Jyugo x reader), Arrested (Aomine x reader), Kuroko no short stories, Star Crossed (Akashi x reader), and the sequel to Star Crossed called Vengeance and Lust (Akashi x reader)!

Written May 26th,2017
Published August 7th,2017
Next Update August 10th,2017