Chapter XII Puppet Strings

{~_~}

Ephraim's POV

I left (y/n) in the care of the clerics, and I recklessly charged straight for Emperor Virgarde, killing all foes that were in my way.

"Why would you betray Renais?!" I asked the emperor before we fought.

He remained silent.

"ANSWER ME!" I yelled.

I still received no response, so I engaged him in combat, and defeated him rather easily...it was almost to easy, and his corpse disintegrated. I seized the throne, causing all the remaining enemy troops to surrender, but then the unexpected happened; I met with my childhood friend Prince Lyon of Grado.

"Lyon! Why is Grado doing this?!" I asked my childhood friend.

Something was amiss about Lyon, he doesn't seem the same as he was back then. He slowly turned around, and evilly smirked at me.

"Heh, misguided Prince Ephraim, I've been plotting this for years...to steal all five of the Sacred stones and destroy them to accomplish my dream! I was the one who murdered your father in cold blood, and you'll be next when the time comes." Lyon informed me as he used teleportation magic to flee before I got to interrogate him more.

"Prince Ephraim, we found captives in the cells!" Seth came running to me.

We went back to the cells, and in particular we met a man named Knoll, who was once a top researcher for Grado. He explained that the emperor had actually died a year ago, and that Prince Lyon tinkered with dark magic in their country's sacred stone to revive his father.

"He was somewhat successful; however, as you know, Grado's sacred stone once sealed the demon king, and we advised the prince to stop, but he didn't listen. Hence, we believe the demon king has taken over him; using the prince as a mere vessel until he is able to fully awaken." Knoll finished explaining.

"I see...How's (y/n) doing?" I said as I turned to Moulder, one of the four clerics that were working on healing her.

"She's alive your highness, I have to say it was a close one. In your confused state, you nearly struck her vitals!" Moulder informed me.

Thank God, I honestly thought I might have killed her. I don't remember what I did during my confused state, all I can recall is when (y/n) kissed me, I was released from the spell that bounded me. I don't like owing others, so I'll make sure I repay her for her act.

{~_~}

(Y/n)'s POV

I awoke in a different place where I remember being. The last thing I remember doing is kissing Prince Ephraim to free him from the spell that gripped him in exchange for my life...but wait! I'm alive?! I shot up out of the bed in was in only to feel excruciating pain in my side.

"Oh your awake (y/n)! Please do be careful." I heard a familiar voice from a blue haired girl.

"Eirika?!" I looked around and it turns out we're in castle Renais and I'm currently in my room.

"Surprised to see me? Ephraim says that he's taken over Grado, but he was under a spell and accidentally attacked you...he feels so awful about it. Anyway, we're at Castle Renais because we need to use our country's sacred stone to defeat our childhood friend Lyon, who is presumably being controlled by the demon king...I still can't believe that all this Lyon's doing." Eirika told me.