Chapter 3 - Just a Bottle of Wine

"I see that," I said.

 "See what?" Scott asked.

 "That look you were giving," 

 I was currently walking up a sidewalk in between Scott and Stiles. Today was one of my childhood best friend, Heather's, seventeenth birthday. As a result, I drug my two boys out here to her party to get our mind off of things, namely Allison in Scott's case.

 "What look?"

 "The look that says the last thing you want to be doing right now is going to a party," I said. 

 Scott groaned and Stiles rolled his eyes next to me. "It's not that," said Scott. "It just seems a little weird going to another school's party."

 "Why would you - ugh!" Stiles too was growing frustrated with Scott's lack of enthusiasm for tonight. "Just one drink, alright? You'll be fine,"

 "Yeah, come on, Scott," I said. "I've known this girl since we were in diapers. She promised to introduce you to a bunch of her friends so you're going to have fun tonight whether you like it or not."

 Scott sucked in a deep breath as we walked closer to the house. Music and loud voices could be heard from all the way down the street. If Heather's still anything like she was when we were younger, I know this is going to be one hell of a party.

 "Okay, you guys are right," said Scott.

 "Of course we're right," said Stiles. 

 We made it to the walk way, only a short distance from the stone steps that led up to the front doors. I haven't been here in years. Usually things seem to not be as big as you remember them when you get older. If it's even possible, I think this house got bigger.

 "Does my breath smell okay?" Scott asked as we walked up the first step.

 "Scott, I'm not smelling your breath," said Stiles.

 "Well do you have any gum?"

 "You don't need gum," I said with a groan. Stiles opened up the front door and I shoved Scott inside. "Now come on,"

 All around us teens were talking and dancing while holding plastic blue cups. This was exactly what we needed tonight. It'll be good for all three of us to let a little bit loose for once. We deserve it after everything we've been through.

 I'd almost forgotten how nice the interior of the house was, even compared to the outside. The modern, fashionable, and expensive-looking furniture was a dead give away that Heather's family is filthy rich. They practically have a winery in their basement for god's sake.

 "Emma!" I heard a voice call out to me over the conversations of those around us.

 "Heather!" I called back, seeing my childhood friend weave her way out of a crowd.

 I gave her a big hug the moment she reached me, but she was careful not to spill her drink. We haven't seen each other in over a year. I guess we've just kind of drifted a part, both having our own problems to deal with. She was a good six inches shorter than me, even though she always had height over me growing up. 

 "Happy birthday!" I said.

 "Thanks!" She said with a big smile. She glanced over at Scott and Stiles, looking them up and down. "And who might this be?"

 "Oh, this is my boyfriend, Stiles, and our other friend, Scott," I said, pointing each boy out to her. Stiles gave his usual stupid smile and a wave to go along with it. Scott was more timid however, not making eye contact.