Chapter 37 - Light to Dark

I laid on my stomach on Stiles' bed with my shoes off and feet crossed in the air. I watched him as he pinned strings to connect different pictures on his wall. It kind of terrifies me, seeing his bedroom look like something out of a murder mystery movie. He's a teenager, he shouldn't have a murder board on his own bedroom wall.

 In front of me on the bed sat three different colors of string, red, yellow, green, and blue. I picked up a loose piece of the red and twirled it around my finger. "What do the different colored strings mean?" I asked Stiles.

 "Uh, they're just different stages of the investigation," he said, turning around to look at me after he connected a red string from a picture of Barrow to one of the school. "So like, green is solved, yellow is to be determined, blue is just...pretty,"

 "What does red mean?" I asked, noticing the plethora of that color on the wall.

 "Uh, unsolved," he said.

 "You only have red on the board," 

 "Yes, I'm aware. Thank you,"

 I let out a heavy sigh, resting my chin in the palm of my hands with my elbows propped up on the bed. Everything is just such a mess right now. So much is happening and we have no idea what we're supposed to do about it. I just wish we could go back to when our biggest trouble was Peter. Even though I despise the man with every fiber of my being, I can handle him. 

 "Did you get detention for pulling the fire alarm?" I asked him.

 "Yep, everyday this week," he said. "It's okay though, we were onto something,"

 "I just...I really thought that Lydia was right," I said.

 Stiles strode over to me, squatting down by the bed to be eye level. I stared at the string coiled around my finger. Maybe I'm red too. Maybe I'm a little bit unsolved. There's just so much inside of me I don't know what to do with yet. I don't know how to balance the light and the darkness. 

 "We all did, Emma," he said. "She's never been wrong before. She felt something, and we trusted her. Barrow was there, and I would go back to that school and search all night to prove it to you,"

 I gave a weak smile as he looked at me with his brown and green speckled eyes. They looked tired, like they haven't slept in days. They probably haven't. That's okay though, I'm still afraid to sleep too. I'm afraid of what I'll wake up to. 

 "I'm supposed to be the one who knows everything," I said, hanging my head. "I feel like I'm letting everyone down,"

 "Hey," he said, grabbing my hands. "Emma,"

 I finally lifted my eyes back up to look at him. His fingers wrapped around the string on my finger, slowly working it off. His touch felt light as air.

 "I don't know where we'd be without you, any of us," he said. "You have been there every step of the way. It's not just me who needs you, we all do."

 "I just wish I knew more,"

 "But you don't," he said, squeezing my hands. "And neither do any of us. That doesn't make you any less needed,"

 He brought his hand up to cup the side of my face, skimming my cheekbone with the pad of his thumb. I instinctively wrapped my hand around his wrist, caressing it down his forearm. I closed my eyes as he leaned in and kissed my forehead.

 He then stood up with a sigh and walked over to his dresser. I watched him with curious eyes as he pulled open the top drawer and began digging through it. Once he seemed to have found what he was looking for, he came back over and sat down on the bed.