Chapter 30 - The Move

My eyes fluttered open, and it took a moment for the throbbing in my head to subside so I could realize where I was and what was happening. I groaned as I rubbed the cut on my forehead, which had already healed but left a trace of blood. The rain was still pounding on the metal roof of the jeep and at first I thought the smoke coming from the engine was just a fog.

 I turned my head to the side to see Stiles leaning against the window, his eyes closed. There was a small gash on the side of his head from where he had hit it when we crashed. I had to fight back the panic that was threatening to rise inside of me.

 "Stiles?" I said, undoing my seat belt and leaning over him. "Stiles? Wake up,"

 I gave him a light shake to the shoulders, but he was still out cold. No this couldn't be happening. I need him awake if we're going to find the parents. He's the one who knows where the Nemeton is.

 "Come on, Stiles," I said, shaking him again. "You have to wake up. Please, wake up,"

 A tight knot formed in my throat as he remained still. An overwhelming feeling of desperation overcame me. I have to do something, but I'm terrified. It's been so long since I've healed someone else, because I'm afraid I'll hurt them instead.

 Although, I did manage to sacrifice Stiles without anything going wrong. I did it because he believed in me, because he trusted me. I know that he trusts me to do this too. It's just a matter of whether or not I trust myself. 

 I took in a shaky breath, trying to calm myself down. I needed to be relaxed if I was going to do this. Stiles believes in me, I know that. Now I just have to believe in myself, something I haven't done in a while. I'm scared out of my mind, but I know I can do this. I know I can do it for Stiles. 

 "Okay, okay," I said, exhaling slowly. I had to keep reminding myself to breathe. "I can do this,"

 There was another crack of thunder as I grabbed one of Stiles' hands and placed my other one on his head where the gash was. I focused entirely on him, thinking about healing his wound and taking away his pain. I kept good thoughts in the back of my mind to keep me from slipping. 

 I closed my eyes and continued breathing in and out. I squeezed my hand tighter around his, feeling the pain seep into my veins, running a dark purple color up my arm. It hurt, but I had to keep going. I could feel his gash beginning to close up underneath my touch.

 "Come on," I said through clenched teeth. "Come on, Stiles. Wake up,"

 My toes curled in my boots as I tried not to think about the ache running up my forearms. I allowed myself to let out a small grunt of pain but bit my lip to keep from screaming. I was getting so close. I couldn't stop now, especially after I'd come this far. 

 I felt Stiles shift underneath me, and in the next moment he sat up straight, sucking in a heavy breath. I pulled my hands away, watching him as my chest heaved for air. He blinked his eyes and shot a hand up to the spot on his head I'd just healed, pulling it back slowly to see only a small trace of blood. He turned to me with a surprised grin teasing his lips.

 "You healed me," he said. 

 "Yeah," I said, smiling back and trying not to think about the throbbing in my own head. "I did,"

 Without warning, Stiles grabbed me by the neck and kissed me full on the lips. Much to my dismay, it was only a brief one, but I understood considering our circumstances. Besides, we had enough of a moment earlier to make up for it.

 "You don't have to be afraid of yourself anymore," he said, rubbing the pad of his thumb over my cheek. "Whatever it is you felt before, doesn't control you,"