Chapter 24 - Seeing the Whole Board

Cora dabbed at the large gash on her hairline in front of the locker room mirror. She winced slightly as she wiped the paper towel across her forehead. I wanted to help heal her, but I'm still afraid of myself. I don't know if I can control it, and I can't risk hurting anyone. Especially Cora.

 "You okay?" I asked. 

 "She doesn't look okay," said Lydia.

 She, Scott, Stiles, and I all stood back and watched Cora tend to her wound. Stiles kept giving me side glances, knowing that I was worried about my friend. Cora rolled her eyes at Lydia, stepping back from the sink.

 "I'll heal," she said. 

 She stumbled backwards, nearly falling over before I caught her by the arm. "Woah," I said. She ripped herself from my grip, holding her hand up in the air.

 "I said I'm fine,"

 It hurt to know that she thinks she doesn't need anyone, anyone meaning me. We were so close before the fire, the way Scott and Stiles are now. I know that she's not exactly the same person she was six years ago, and I'm not either, but I really thought we could rekindle our lost friendship. I could use a little more friends with all the family I've lost.

 "Do you realize how suicidally crazy that was?" Stiles asked her. "What were you thinking going after them?"

 "I did it for Boyd," she snapped, venom in her voice. My skin went cold. "None of you were doing anything,"

 "We're trying," said Scott wide-eyed. 

 "And you're failing," said Cora in a low tone. I tried pleading with her with my expression, but she wouldn't meet my eyes. "You're just a bunch of stupid teenagers, running around, thinking that you can stop people from getting killed."

 My gaze drifted to the ground. I didn't want to listen to what she was saying, but deep down I knew that she's mostly right. We are just a bunch of teenagers. We have no idea what the hell we're doing, but that's not entirely our fault. We didn't get a choice.

 "All you do is show up late," continued Cora. "All you really do is find the bodies."

 "Cora," I said, trying to stop her before she walked away. She ignored me.

 "She's definitely a Hale," muttered Stiles. 

 I glanced at him before walking after Cora. "I'll make sure she gets home,"

 A hand wrapped itself around mine, and I knew from enough experience that it belonged to Stiles. I turned my head back to face him. "I'll go with you,"

 He squeezed my hand when I nodded, the way he always does. All the while we followed Cora out of the locker room, I couldn't stop thinking about what she said, about us finding the bodies. I couldn't save Heather. I couldn't save my father. They're dead because we didn't know what to do. Maybe we are just some useless teenagers.

 ☀

 "Philosophers?" Stiles asked.

 Allison had called Stiles while we were driving Cora home. She explained that she found some pretty big clues in her father's office. Clues that just may be able to help us actually manage to save someone, before we find their body.

 "Or guardians," said Allison. "Which after last night must mean something like law enforcement, right?"

 I glanced at Stiles, hating the way his face fell at her words. Law enforcement being the next possible sacrifice was the last thing any of us wanted to hear, especially Stiles. I know what it's like to lose your father to a human sacrifice. I don't want Stiles to ever have to experience that kind of pain.