Chapter 29 - Distraction

It shouldn't be taking this long. The clock is nearing upon sixteen hours. Sixteen hours for which I haven't slept, eaten, or even gone to the bathroom. I've just been sitting here against the wall, on and off crying while watching the tubs for any sign of movement. Nothing.

 When I knew no one was looking, I reached deep into my pocket to pull out one of the Adderall tablets I had swiped from Stiles a while ago. I knew I was going to need it to get through the rest of tonight. Hell, I just about need it to get through any night. 

 Finally there was a stir as the door to the clinic rang open. Lydia and I glanced at each other as we watched Deaton go out to the front to investigate. My heart nearly stopped when I saw my brother walk into the room. 

 "Cora's alive," he said to me. "Derek saved her,"

 I jumped to my feet and flung my arms around his neck. Thank god Cora was alive. I don't think I could handle losing anymore loved ones. I can only take so much before I crack for good. 

 "How?" I asked, stepping back so I could see his full face.

 He paused for a moment, his eyes flickering to the ground before glancing back up to meet mine. His hesitation was making me anxious. "He gave up his Alpha status,"

 "No," I said, shaking my head. It all began to register quickly. "If he's not an Alpha then he stands no chance against Kali. It should've been me,"

 If only I could have gotten myself in check I could have healed Cora and there would have been no need for Derek to sacrifice his Alpha status. Sure, there's a chance it could have killed me, but maybe that's for the best. I owe it to save someone for all the people I've hurt.

 "Emma," he began.

 "What is he going to do?" I asked. "Run?"

 I knew that when Eric didn't reply that my theory was correct. I shook my head again. This was unbelievable. "He hasn't left yet, but Peter was talking to him when I left,"

 "No, he can't," I said. "Why does he get to just up and run from all his problems while the rest of us are stuck here waiting for three people that we care about to somehow come back to life? We don't get to just walk away from this,"

 We've been sitting here for nearly sixteen hours. I've thrown up twice already from the anxiety. I don't know whether or not Scott, Stiles, and Allison are going to come back. If they don't, then that means I was the one to kill Stiles. I pushed him under and I would be the reason he doesn't come back up. If only running away from that guilt was as easy as Derek is making it seem.

 "Emma, I know," said Eric. "Believe me, I know. But Kali is going to kill him if he doesn't run. He doesn't stand a chance against her without being an Alpha."

 "Just like the rest of us stand a chance against Jennifer?" I offered.

 Eric took a step towards me, holding his hand out to my arm. "Emma, you need to relax,"

 My breathing was staggered. "So what? Are you leaving too?"

 "Not this time," he said.

 I knew he was telling the truth, even without hearing the steady pounding of his heartbeat. Deep down I believe he needs me just as much as I need him. It's just us against the world. Sure, we have friends and they're great, but sometimes you just need family as the ground beneath your feet.

 The sudden splashing startled us all. Eric and I turned around as Lydia got to her feet and Issac and Deaton came running in. Stiles, Scott, and Allison all shot up out of the water, slightly pale and gasping for air. My heart felt like it had been shoved down my throat at the sight of Stiles alive and breathing again.