Chapter 32 - Open Doors

"Wait, you did what?" I asked to Allison.

 We both stood at my locker in between classes. She had come up to me, frantically rambling about something that happened yesterday with Lydia at the Preserve. I could hardly understand a word she had said she was talking so fast.

 "I almost shot Lydia in the head with an arrow," she said, her eyes wide.

 "What? Why?"

 She shook her head, rolling back and forth on the balls of her feet. "I don't know, Emma. That's why I need your help,"

 Allison and I have had our differences in the past, especially when she decided to drive two daggers into my brother's side, but she's still my friend. With everything that's going on, all of us need to stick together. Whatever she's done in the past is done, and I'll do whatever I can to help her.

 "I saw my Aunt Kate again, that's why I shot the arrow. I thought I was shooting it at her," she explained. 

 "Allison, I don't - "

 "But you've been through all this before, haven't you?" She asked, raising her eyebrows. "Like that night at the motel, you said you saw your family and that they were taunting you,"

 I nodded, wishing she hadn't reminded me. Those are memories I prefer to keep pushed away in the back of my mind, especially since I tried killing myself that night.

 "How'd you make it stop?"

 There was something about the way she said it, and the look in her eyes as she did so. It was something I hadn't seen on her in a long time. It was fear. Allison is always so brave and ready to fight whatever comes next, but I know that this is hitting her in an entirely new direction. 

 "I don't know," I confessed. "I - I wasn't really myself that night,"

 Allison looked down, defeated. I hate seeing her like this. I hate seeing all three of them like this. This should never have happened. Maybe I should have just killed Jennifer like I wanted to and ended it all right there. Sure, the witches would have returned and taken my life as well, but maybe that would have been worth it. I'd rather be dead than watch the people I love and care about go through this.

 "You're going to be okay, Allison," I said. She looked back up at me. "I promise you, we'll figure something out. I'll figure something out,"

 She nodded, giving a weak smile. It wasn't much, but I'll take it.

 "Come on, we'll both be late for class,"

 With that, we headed in our separate directions to our according classes. I walked into Finstock's room just as the bell ring, seeing that Scott and Stiles were already there. I took my seat behind Stiles, grazing his arm as I did so. Yet, he didn't seem to notice. He was too immersed in scribbling in his notebook. 

 I opened up my textbook and tried my best to follow along with Finstock's lecture. My perfect grade point average has been dwindling the past few months, but it's not like I have all the time in the world for homework and studying. I've been too busy trying to keep myself and everyone around me alive.

 In front of me I noticed Stiles still scribbling in his notebook. Even I wasn't taking notes on this section of the reading. I peered over Stiles' shoulder to see what he was writing, out of curiosity. On the top corner of the page, where his hand wasn't covering the paper, I saw the words Wake up.

 "Mr. Stilinski," said Finstock, looking directly at Stiles. "Are you paying attention?"

 Stiles didn't even flinch. He just continued scribbling and writing on his paper. Scott looked back at me with low brows. He must have seen what Stiles was writing too. Cautiously, I tapped Stiles' shoulder to get his attention, but he seemed too focused on what he was doing with his pen.