Chapter 53 - Decisions

I released the breath I had been holding when Stiles' eyelids fluttered open. His skin was still white as a sheet, and there was still a pink tint around his eyes, but he was alive. He was breathing. Most importantly, he was Stiles

 My head dropped down in relief and I squeezed his hand that I had taken in an effort to heal him somehow. I could hear his heart beating, but waiting for him to wake up had felt like watching grass grow. I'm just glad he's okay.

 "Oh god, I fainted, didn't I?" He questioned, staring up at the five of us. We all giggled. This was definitely Stiles. "We're alive. Are we all alive?"

 A stale silence surrounded our group. We were all thinking it, and I could hear Scott's heartbeat pick up next to me. This had been a war, and unfortunately there was a casualty. One of our warriors had fallen.

 "Yeah," said Scott, his voice small. "We're okay,"

 Stiles squeezed my hand back, causing my stomach to flip in a way that I never thought it would again. I brought my free hand up to his forehead, pushing his hair back and smiling down at him. All of this is finally over. We can go back to being normal -- well, as normal as normal gets for kids like us -- teenagers again.

 On my other side, Lydia stood up. Her head was turned in the direction of the double doors down the hall, a crease in between her eyebrows. I slowly stood up as well, watching her closely. "Lydia," I said. She took off running down the hall, and I didn't hesitate before running after her. "Lydia!"

 I barely caught the doors as she flung them open, running out onto the wet pavement. She came to a halt at one of the railings, and a second later she had thrown herself into my arms. I hugged her petite body to my chest, rubbing her back as I finally caught glimpse of what she had seen, of what she had felt.

 Aiden's body was laying limp on the ground just below us. Black blood stained his mouth and chin. His twin was crying over his body, and I knew what that all meant. I knew that there had been another casualty. We lost another warrior. 

 Everyone had ran out after us, and I turned my head to see the fallen expressions on their faces. Lydia's body shook in my arms with a sob. I know this feeling. I've been there before. I know all too well how it feels to lose someone you love and care about.

 I was never Aiden's biggest fan, especially after what happened with Boyd, but that doesn't mean I don't feel this. He didn't deserve to die. He was trying to be better, and I can appreciate that. He died fighting for our cause, and I will never let that be forgotten.

  ✞ 

 "I still can't believe it," I said with a heavy sigh. "Allison and Aiden are dead. They're gone, just like that,"

 Eric didn't say anything. He just sat at our island bar with his hands folded on top and his head down. I should be thankful that at least he's alive. He may have been poisoned by the Oni's sword, but he's okay.

 "At least it's all over," I said. 

 "Is it though?" Eric questioned, finally lifting his head to look at me. I quirked an eyebrow at him. "I mean, that's what we thought after we saved Jackson, then the Alpha Pack showed up. Then we finally stopped them and Jennifer and then this whole mess happened,"

 He had a point that I couldn't argue. It just feels like one thing after another in this town. Bad things never really stop happening, they just like to take breaks in between to keep us off balance. I don't think anything will ever truly be over in a town like Beacon Hills.