Chapter 33 - The Coyote Den

I leaned forward from the backseat of Stiles' jeep, staring out the windows to be sure we're where I think we are. It's been a month since I've driven down this road, mostly because I just haven't had the capacity to. It was too risky to revisit a place like this with all that was going on in my mind.

 A crease formed in between my brows when Stiles pulled the jeep to a stop on the shoulder. "Wait, this is where the accident was?" I asked.

 "Yeah," said Stiles, turning around to look at me. "Why?"

 I took a deep breath and pointed straight ahead where the headlights of the jeep illuminated an old and thick tree. Placed in front of the trunk were two crosses, one larger than the other. Flower wreaths were hung around them, more bouquets filling the ground to surround them. Those were bouquets I had laid.

 "Because this is the same place where my accident was,"

 Neither of the boys said anything for a moment as they took in this information. Maybe it's just a coincidence and I'm being stupid for thinking that there's some kind of connection between the two accidents. They were four years apart. I'm sure it means nothing.

 "Wait, Stiles, didn't you say that Malia's mother and younger sister were killed?" Scott asked. 

 Stiles glanced back at me, and I could see him swallow. "Yeah,"

 "Don't you think that's a little weird?" Scott asked.

 No one said anything. Of course it's a little weird with all the similarities between the two accidents, but we have bigger things to worry about right now. We don't need to cloud our minds with something like this.

 "Coincidence," I stated, blowing out a huff of air through my nostrils. "Now are we going to go find this thing or not?"

 They didn't argue and Scott helped pull me out of the backseat like he always does. It's only a fair trade for making me sit back there every time the two of us ride with Stiles. I followed close behind the boys as they led us into the vast array of trees that lined the side of the road. I knew that we were close to the edge of the Preserve.

 Scott pulled out his phone to track the location of where the wrecked car is supposed to be. We followed his map and I couldn't help but notice that I'm not as afraid of walking in the woods at midnight as I should be. I guess I'm just used to it by now.

 "You know if my dad's right that means there's another werewolf in town that we haven't met yet," said Stiles as we walked. 

 "I know," said Scott, shining the flashlight in front of us. 

 "If it turns out to be something like triplets that turn into a three-headed hound of hell I'm seriously not up for that," said Stiles. 

 I scoffed at the picture that came to mind as Stiles described it. Knowing our luck with supernatural creatures, we would run into something like that. It is Beacon Hills, after all. 

 "Yeah, me either," said Scott, continuously glancing at the map on his phone. "Especially since I can't even control my own transformation,"

 I used to have an answer for everything. When Scott and Stiles first came to me spouting off questions I had no trouble giving them an explanation. But now we're dealing with things I've never dealt with before, and I don't know how to handle them. I hate that I can't help them the way I used to.

 We came up to a large slope and just as we were about to stop walking, a coyote howled in the distance. Stiles frantically grabbed a hold of my shoulders, pulling himself behind me. It caused me to bump into Scott and send his phone down the slope and into a puddle at the bottom.