Chapter 14 - Pure of Heart

~~STILES POV~~

 My mind keeps drifting back to memories of this past summer. It was hands down the best summer of my life. Every moment I wasn't with Scott trying to distract him from Allison, I was with Emma. We finally got to go on a real date, one without werewolves or kanimas. 

 A smile spreads across my face as I think about all the times Emma sat in the passenger side of my jeep with the windows rolled down, her hair loose, and her bare feet up on the dash as she sang along to whatever song was playing on the radio. I love thinking about her like that because I've never seen her so happy, so free, as I did when we drove around aimlessly. Her spirit never seemed to fade.

 We spent a lot of time out at the small body of water on the opposite side of town where I used to sit with Mom. We even went skinny dipping one night, when the water was warm enough. It was the first time we saw each other naked. Although most nights we would just lay out on a blanket and she would point out to me all of the constellations she and her mother used to admire. Those were my favorite nights.

 I have to keep thinking about all of the wonderful and carefree times we've had together. I need them to stay fresh so that the sight of her killing someone doesn't stick in my mind. I don't want to think of Emma that way. It's not her.

 "What if she's not even here?" I asked Scott, who was walking through the trees a few feet ahead of me. 

 We've been wandering around the preserve for the past ten minutes looking for Emma. It just doesn't seem right. It's like I can feel that she's not here. We're wasting time by searching through the trees, and time is like gold right now.

 "Where else would she have gone?" Scott asked. He pushed away a branch so he could pass through. 

 I don't really have an answer for that, but I'm racking my brain to come up with one. You're the one always figuring it out, Stiles, I repeated Brittany's words in my mind. It just seems like Emma is purposely leading us on this wold goose chase. She covered up her scent for a reason, and I'm not exactly sure it was just to protect us.

 The way I remember Eric explaining this after he returned from Romania, is that once a healer kills they lose themselves in the power. But Emma isn't like anyone else. She's already lost herself once, when she lost her memory. That means she should have a greater chance of finding herself and not letting the power consume her.

 She would have gone somewhere the reminds her of good and happiness, somewhere that gives her a reason to not let the darkness in. We already know she's not at home, and just about everywhere else in Beacon Hills has a traumatic memory attached to it or not one at all. That only leaves one other place.

 "Dude, you coming?" Scott said.

 I didn't realize I'd stopped walking. My eyes were wide as it all began to click in my mind. "I think I know where she is,"

 "What? Where?"

 "We have to get to my jeep," I said. 

 I didn't even wait for him to reply before taking off at full speed in the direction we came. Scott caught up to me with ease, although the adrenaline was helping me to run faster than usual. I dodged past trees and hanging branches, trying to remind myself to breathe as I ran.

 We made it to where I'd parked faster than I anticipated, meaning we must not have covered much ground searching through the trees. Scott was barely in the passenger seat before I whipped the jeep around and sped off in the opposite direction. I didn't bother to buckle my seat belt. There's not enough time.