Chapter 9 - Boxing Match

Virgins. Someone is sacrificing virgins. For what reason, I do not know. But I am sure of one thing, and that's that Stiles and I are both most definitely still virgins. We've had so many opportunities to squander that title, but something always causes us to fall short. 

 I'm sure Stiles has been thinking about it too, the fact that we are in the same category as the three people who were brutally murdered. It's all my fault. We were so close that one time towards the end of the summer. There were no interruptions, no distractions, just us. Then I had to go and chicken out. I guess I just didn't realize then what virginity really means. Apparently it makes you a target.

 So, this poses the question, should Stiles and I do it just because of the fear of being the next human sacrifice? I mean, I want to do it with Stiles, don't get me wrong. It's just, I don't want to feel like I have to do it. When it finally does happen, I want it to be passionate and romantic, not forced out of anxiety.

 I thought about all of this as I poked at the poorly cooked grilled chicken Dad had tried to make. It was dry, flavorless, and nearly impossible to cut. Normally I do all the cooking around here, but after the past couple of days I've had, Dad's been picking up the job for me. As thankful as I am for one less thing to do, I wish the man could actually cook.

 People used to bring us over all kinds of dishes after Mom and Zoe died, mostly lasagna. Both our refrigerator and freezer were stocked full with food. Dad always refused to eat them, though. I'm not sure why. He would try and cook instead and once he realized he was no good, he let me take over. Eventually, Eric threw away all of those uneaten dishes. It was such a waste.

 "Not hungry?" He asked me. 

 I looked up at him from my seat at our island bar. He was busying himself by putting away the leftovers, though he might as well be throwing them out. I could tell by the dip in his forced smile that he's worried about me. Everyone keeps looking at me like I'm a ticking time bomb or something. Sure, it's been a rough week, but I'm fine. Despite losing one of the last connections to my mother, I'm fine. 

 "No," I lied, setting my fork down on my plate. In truth, I'm starving. I've hardly eaten anything the past two days what with all of the trouble going on around me. There's barely even time for me to breathe it seems like.

 "Is it because of Heather?" He asked.

 I held my breath. I haven't even known of her death for twenty-four hours yet. It still doesn't even seem real, like it couldn't possibly have happened. Then I remember seeing her pale and lifeless body laying naked on that metal table. The thought of it almost made me wish I could lose my memory again.

 Even though it hasn't been long since I learned what happened to her, this is the first time anyone's even said her name to me. It even seems like Stiles is afraid of how I'll react if he brings her up. I know he's just trying to protect me, but do I seem that weak that I can't handle talking about it?

 "There's nothing you could have done, Emma, and I need you to know that," said Dad. I hung my head, staring at my lap to hide the gloss in my eyes. "Sometimes things happen that we have absolutely no control of. We wish we did, but that's just how the world works. What we can control, however, is how we react to it."

 I knew he was thinking about Mom and Zoe when he spoke. For a moment I swear I even saw a glimmer of them in his eyes. I know he's right, but I still can't help but feel as though there's something I could have done differently. Maybe I shouldn't have left her in the wine cellar to go ask Stiles about what wine he would like. Or maybe we shouldn't have gone down there at all. Maybe then she'd still be alive.