Chapter 34 - The Beast Within

I made it into History just as the tardy bell rang. I slid into my seat behind Stiles as he turned around and smiled at me. "Hey," he said. For some reason, it made my heart leap in my chest. Maybe it should scare me, but I'm kind of glad I still get butterflies in my stomach around him. 

 "Hey," I said back. I couldn't help but stare at his lips. It feels like forever since I've had time to properly kiss them, and do I ever miss kissing Stiles. 

 Stiles chuckled and raised an eyebrow at me. "You okay?"

 "What?" I asked, pulling myself out of my trace.

 "You had this look on your face," he said, laughing to himself. 

 "I was just...thinking," I said, my tone more flirtatious than it has been in a while. Sure, Stiles and I have been together for a long time now, but flirting with him will never get old.

 "About what?" He asked.

 He reached over and rubbed his index finger over my forearm. A blush ran up my cheeks as goosebumps appeared on my skin and Stiles chuckled again when he noticed. I was at least thankful that he doesn't make me nervous the way he used to.

 "How we could really use some more alone time,"

 His eyebrows shot up but he didn't have time to reply before Mr. Yukimira was addressing the class. "Alright everyone, let's get started,"

 I smirked at Stiles as he turned around in his seat to face the board. It was good to know I still have him wrapped around my finger when it comes to things like this. I like being able to have a little bit of power over him.

 "We were just talking about internment camps and prisoners of war," spoke Mr. Yukimira. "There's a passage in our reading that I'd like to go over in more detail. Who would like to come up and read aloud for us?"

 No one in the class even dared to raise their hands. Reading in front of the class is the lowest of lows for things to do in high school. Everyone seems to understand that, except for the teachers of course.

 "Mr. Stilinski?" Mr. Yukimira said, eyes landing on Stiles. "How about you?"

 It then hit me as I heard Stiles' heart begin to race that he said before he couldn't read anything. This open door in his mind has taken away one of the skills most valuable to him. If he goes up there, and he still can't read, I don't know what he'll do.

 "Oh uh...maybe someone else could?" Stiles said.

 "Everyone participates in my class, Mr. Stilinski,"

 "I'll do the reading, Mr. Yukimira," I offered, sticking my hand into the air. "I just find the topic of these internment camps so captivating and interesting,"

 "That's wonderful, Miss Brisbane, but I asked Mr. Stilinski,"

 "But I really - " I began, standing up.

 "Emma," said Stiles, turning around and cutting me off. "It's okay, I can do it,"

 I searched deep into his eyes, and even though I knew he was lying, I still sat back down. I watched with weak eyes as Stiles got up and walked over to stand behind the podium at the front of the class. I could feel Scott glance at me, but my focus was entirely on Stiles. 

 His hands tightly gripped the side of the podium as he narrowed his eyes at the book in front of him. I could hear his heartbeat picking up even more, and I know Scott could too. Stiles' breathing became heavy as his eyes drifted in and out of focus. I knew I shouldn't have let him go up there. I shouldn't have listened to him.