Chapter 8 - Virginal

"Dad?"

 "Are you alright?" He asked, hurrying over to me. He knelt down, rubbing a hand over my back in comfort. 

 I pulled my hands away from my stomach again, wincing at the pain. The cuts were deep, but I have the power of the full moon to help me heal faster. It could have been a lot worse. In fact, it should have been a lot worse.

 "Yeah," I said, pressing back down on my wounds. I glanced at the weapon in Dad's hand. "I didn't even know you owned a gun,"

 He let out a small laugh, lifting up the gun and turning it over in his hand. It was an old metal pistol, nothing fancy like the Argents have. "Emma, we live in a town with werewolves and murderous lizards. You expect me not to have a way to defend myself?"

 My face broke into a smile. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and I leaned into him, moving my legs out from under me so I could sit flat on the ground. Then another question popped into my mind.

 "How did you know - ?"

 "Emma!" I was cut off by the sound of Stiles calling out my name. He came out from around the other side of the wall. "No one was answering and then I heard gunshots are you o - "

 He broke off when he saw me in Dad's arms. His face and shoulders relaxed as he realized that I'm okay. As much as I love it when Stiles holds me, there's something about being wrapped up in my father's arms in this moment. 

 I decided that I don't even care how he managed to find me or know that I was in trouble. He's my dad, and dads are just supposed to know those things. Him shooting Brittany and scaring her away from me, that was a big step. He finally faced the thing he's been fearing most since Mom and Zoe died.

 I think he always knew there was something supernatural about their death, he just didn't want to admit it. The fact that Mom was killed by the thing she loved most was too much for him. It's funny, how it works like that.

 He's been my rock for the past four years. When Eric left, when I stopped talking to all of my friends, when I isolated myself from the world, he was still there. All we had was each other. There was no one else left. It would have been so easy for him to push me away, to fold into himself as I had, but he didn't. He knew that he needed me, and that I needed him.

 "Dad," I said, reminding myself of earlier events. I pulled my head off his shoulder so I could look at him. "Cora, she's alive,"

 He furrowed his eyebrows. "What? Cora Hale?"

 I nodded my head.

 "But I thought she - "

 "The alpha pack locked up her and Boyd for the past three full moons," I said, diving straight in. "They killed Erica too, but now Cora and Boyd are running loose without any control and I don't know what they're gonna do or if they're going to hurt somebody or if they already have,"

 "Woah, slow down," said Dad, holding up a hand to stop me. I was out of breath by the end of my rant. "Alpha pack?"

 I looked over at Stiles who was standing just a short distance from us with his hands stuffed in his pockets. I sighed and looked back at Dad. I proceeded to explain the events of the past couple of nights. Everything from the suicidal deer to the dead boy we found just about an hour ago. Stiles helped, filling in at parts. Dad was at a loss for words by the time we finished.

 He's never really been a big fan of the supernatural, especially once he found out how much it's done to our family. He just lived with it because Mom loved it, and he loved her. Everything that I just told him, that's a big pill to swallow even for someone who's experienced as many supernatural things as he has.