Chapter 26 - Adrenaline Rush

Derek lunged at Jennifer, knocking a box of latex gloves and a bottle of disinfectant off one of the tables. Scott held him back, pushing him by his chest. I brought my hand up to the cross pendant of my necklace, squeezing it. All of this was becoming too much. My mind felt like a whirlwind of emotions.

 "She tried to get out!" Derek shouted, pointing his finger at Jennifer.

 "I was trying to keep from getting killed," she defended. "You can't blame me for that,"

 Stiles took a step forward from beside me. "Alright, well if you wanna show that you're one of the good guys then heal her," he said, indicating towards Cora.

 "Not until I'm safe," she argued.

 "I'd like to volunteer a different method of persuasion," said Peter. "Let's torture her,"

 For the first time in my entire life, I agreed with Peter. I wanted nothing more than to hold her by the throat again until she fixes Cora. She's the one who created this mess, not it's her job to clean it up. I won't stand by and let her be responsible for the death of another loved one. I can't.

 "Works for me," muttered Derek, fighting against Scott again to attack Jennifer.

 Eric had moved around to his other side now, helping Scott hold him back. He must know by now, that she was the one who killed Dad. I don't know how he's not helping Derek jump Jennifer. I would be if it weren't for Cora and Stiles' dad. Maybe he's laying off because Scott is, and he looks up to Scott even though he won't admit it. Scott is the kind of person I know Eric has been trying to be. 

 All of us froze as the sound of a familiar voice came on over the intercom. "Excuse me," said the voice of Melissa McCall. "Can I have your attention? Mr. Deucalion -- excuse me, just Deucalion -- requests you bring the woman calling herself Jennifer Blake to the ER reception. Do this, and everyone else can leave. You have ten minutes,"

 The look on Scott's face made my own harden. Now not only is Stiles' dad in danger, but now Scott's mom is as well. The problem is now, by choosing to save one, we're also choosing to give up the other.

 "He's not gonna hurt her," said Jennifer.

 "Shut up," demanded Derek without hesitation.

 "He won't," she said. She turned her head towards Scott. "Scott, you know why. Tell them it's true,"

 "What does she mean?" Derek asked Scott. 

 I noticed Stiles and Eric furrowing their brows. I tried to keep my face as neutral as possible, and I was just praying that Scott wouldn't look my way. We both agreed not to tell the others, even Stiles, for a reason. It's just something better kept under wraps.

 Jennifer let out a small laugh, then looked at me. "Or maybe Emma here could fill you in,"

 I swallowed hard as all eyes turned to me. Stiles walked back over to me, his eyes interrogating mine. "Emma, what's going on? What's she talking about?"

 Jennifer rolled her eyes. I could tell that Stiles knew there was something Scott and I were hiding from him. I wish we didn't have to, because I absolutely hate lying to him. My heart was pounding so loud it was filling my head.

 "Derek's not the only one they want in their pack," said Jennifer. I looked away from Stiles and towards the ground. "Deucalion doesn't just want an alpha pack, he wants perfection. That means adding the rarest of alphas to his ranks."

 "A true alpha," said Peter once he realized what she was talking about.

 "What's that?" Stiles asked. I felt his hand on my arm. "Emma?"