Chapter 31 - Aftermath

~| PART TWO |~

Nothing's been the same since that night, the night of the sacrifices. No one really wants to admit it, either. Scott, Stiles, and Allison want to keep going on as if they're all okay, that what they did that night didn't affect them. But I can see it. I think we all can.

I understand what they're going through, however, since I went through the same thing myself after I let my darkness in. I didn't want anyone to know about what I was feeling inside of me, so it's no surprise that they're keeping it to themselves as well. I just wish that Stiles would at least talk to me about it. I've tried getting him to open up, but he insists that he's fine. I don't need supernatural abilities to tell that he's lying.

He thinks I don't know about the nightmares, but Sheriff Stilinski tells me everything. I know that he's been screaming himself awake for practically every night the past week. I offered to come and stay with him, like we used to do all the time anyways, but the Sheriff didn't think it was such a good idea with how violent Stiles is when he wakes up.

I just hate knowing that he's like this, and that I'm the one who caused it. I pushed him under the water that night. I killed him and brought about this darkness so it's my responsibility to fix it. There has to be something I can do to help him. There has to be.

Eric's been moping around the apartment, too. I think it's because Derek and Cora are both gone and he doesn't quite know what to do about it. I miss them too. They were our childhood friends and I'm sad that they left, but I hope that they're at least happy wherever they are now.

"Do you think they're ever coming back?" Eric asked me as I placed a bowl of cheap cereal in front of him. Money's been tight since Dad died.

"Part of me hopes so," I said with a sigh, sitting down at the small kitchen table next to him. "But part of me hopes that they're okay...wherever they are,"

Eric nodded his head. "I just wish I knew. Ya know?"

"I know," I said, patting his shoulder.

My phone began buzzing on the table and my heart fell into my stomach when I saw Sheriff Stilinski's caller ID pop up on my screen. Nowadays his calls are never good news. Still, I sucked in a breath and answered it.

"Hello?"

I stood up from the table and walked down the hallway to my bedroom. I really didn't want Eric listening to this conversation, but I know it's inevitable. I at least don't want to have to see his face when the Sheriff tells me the latest happenings with Stiles.

"Emma," he said. I could hear the desperation in his voice.

"How bad was it this time?" I asked, already knowing what he was talking about.

"Worse than usual," he said. "I had to hold him down until he stopped screaming."

My heart wrenched in my chest. I rubbed a hand over my face, running it back through my hair. This was never supposed to happen to him, to Stiles. I don't want him to be tortured like me.

"Is he okay?" I finally managed out.

"I don't really know anymore,"

Something inside of me felt like it had cracked, just enough to make it painful but not enough for anyone to see. I hate this. I hate it so much. I never wanted any of them to end up like me, especially Stiles.

"Emma, is there anything you can do? I mean, supernaturally speaking?" The Sheriff asked.

I fiddled with the corner of my bed sheet, sucking in a small breath. My abilities are limited to physical pain. I don't know what I can do to stop nightmares, to put an end to the emotional trauma.