Chapter 48 - Gashes

Stiles stepped behind the six of us as Chris went to fire his pistol. I heard him click the trigger, but nothing happened. Sheriff Stilinski stepped forward alongside him, firing his own gun at the Oni. Chris pulled another out of his jacket pocket, shooting them one-handed.

 The bullets hardly seemed to phase them. Two disappeared into a thin cloud of black smoke, and I heard a clicking from behind me that let me know they had reappeared. I stood next to Stiles as Derek, Allison, and my brother all went to face the Oni. Allison held out her dagger while Derek and my brother barred their claws and fangs.

 I could feel Stiles looking at me, so I turned my head to face him. I searched his eyes for any sign that my Stiles was still in there somewhere, but they were too dark. I had to anchor myself to keeping from slipping again.

 "Emma!"

 I had been too distracted looking at Stiles to see the Oni that had gotten past Chris and the Sheriff. My breath hitched in the back of my throat when I felt it's blade cut through my middle. I froze, my body in shock and unable to move. 

 Stiles walked backwards as I fell to my knees. It wasn't long before he was out of sight. I clutched my hands over the thick slice in my stomach that had cut straight through the dress I was wearing. They were shaking and covered in blood. It didn't hurt, but I knew that was only the adrenaline. 

 "Emma," said Eric, grabbing my arm and crouching down next to me. 

 "Watch out!" I warned.

 Just in time, Eric ducked his head from the blade of the Oni's sword. He stood back up, swiping his claws at the Oni to force it backwards as it swung it's sword dangerously close to him Then, the Oni froze as Allison pulled her two daggers out of it's sides. A moment later it vanished into a thin black smoke, followed by the other three.

 "Thanks," panted Eric. Allison just returned him with a smile. 

 In front of me, I could see Derek sitting on the ground as well, Chris crouched down next to him. His shirt was ripped on the shoulder and there was a large gash similar to mine through his flesh. We glanced at each other, not saying anything but not really having to. 

 "Are you okay?" Sheriff Stilinski asked me, placing a hand on my shoulder.

 I broke my gaze away from Derek and looked up at him, nodding my head. "Yeah, yeah I'll heal,"

 Normally I'd already be healing by now, but maybe since I'm still weak from what happened with the Nogitsune the process is a little slow. Besides, the swords the Oni carry have to have some kind of poison in them. I can feel it. 

 All of our heads shot up as a pair of footsteps came running into the doorway. Chris and the Sheriff both raised their guns and I craned my neck around to see who it was. A sigh of relief washed over me when I saw Scott and Kira standing before us.

 "What happened?" Scott asked, his voice stern. 

 "They disappeared," said Allison, still slightly out of breath like the rest of us. "They literally just vanished,"

 Scott began walking down the steps into the loft, Kira following close behind. His eyes lingered on me for a moment, glancing down to the blood still seeping out onto my hands. It should have stopped bleeding by now.

 "And so did Stiles," added the Sheriff. 

 ✞

 By the next day my wound had stopped bleeding, but it still wasn't healing the way it should be. I went into the medicine cabinet in the bathroom to find some ointment or something to put on it, but it was entirely empty aside from a tube of toothpaste, my old glasses, and the spare toothbrush Stiles uses when he spends the night.