Chapter 45 - The Taste of Memories

I have felt a lot of pain in my life. I have hung onto life by a thin thread and known the loss of a mother, sister, and father. I have had my heart nearly ripped from my chest, in the most literal and metaphorical sense. But I believe that the worst pain in the world goes beyond the physical. Even further beyond any emotional pain one can feel. It is the betrayal of a friend, of a lover. 

 Yes, I know it wasn't really Stiles that hurt me this way, that doesn't mean I don't still feel fooled, humiliated, betrayed. I thought that was him I was sharing the most intimate of moments with. It may have been his body, but it wasn't him. However, it was still his arm forced through my chest.

 I know that this isn't his fault. Stiles didn't ask to be possessed by a dark Japanese spirit. I have no one to blame but myself. I should have known better. I should have known that it wasn't actually Stiles. He wouldn't have wanted our first time to be in the school basement without the slightest bit of thought put into it. The way he touched me, a little more daring and not so delicate, that should have been a dead giveaway. I guess I just wanted to believe it was him, for my own sake.

 Everyone just keeps giving me this look now, like they feel sorry for me but they're weary that I'm going to go off like a grenade at any given moment. Scott's the only one who knows about the sex -- besides the twins I guess. I haven't told him that it wasn't actually Stiles, but I think he kind of made the connection. It makes it hard for me to look him in the eye.

 I think about all of this as I drive Scott and I to the outskirts of town, my foot pressed down too hard on the gas and my knuckles white from their grip around the steering wheel. Scott offered to let me ride with him on his motorcycle, but I was more comfortable in a car. Although, maybe me driving wasn't the best idea at this point.

 Scott keeps glancing over at me the entire drive and I try to ignore it but it only makes me think more about what's happened the past couple of days, and that forces tears to burn the back of my eyes. I can't cry though. I have to prove to everyone that I'm okay.

 We pull up to the gates under the streetlight. It seems odd to think that only a few days ago we were here under the impression of getting Stiles out, and now we want to check him in. Scott and I are horrendously against the idea, hence why we're here pulled up behind Mr. Stilinski's Toyota.

 Scott and I rushed out of the car and over to Stiles and Mr. Stilinski. "Why didn't you tell us?" Scott asked. We had to find out from Melissa that this was even happening. I don't know why Stiles thinks he has to keep so much from me lately.

 "Because we wanted to avoid something like this," said Mr. Stilinski.

 "It's only 72 hours," said Stiles, glancing between me and Scott. Seventy-two hours was going to feel like a lifetime knowing Stiles was locked up in this place.

 "This is the same place where Barrow came from, the guy who had a tumor inside him filled with flies," said Scott. He then turned to Mr. Stilinski. "You don't know everything yet,"

 "I know enough," he said. "Nogitsunes, kitsunes, Oni...or whatever they're called,"

 "No, that's all surprisingly correct," said Stiles with a shrug. 

 I don't care about what happened between myself and the Nogitsune, not if it means this. I don't know why they think they need to lock Stiles up in here. If it's because of me then they need to tell me, so I can let them know I'm not worried about what he could do.

 "Kids, I saw an MRI that looked exactly like my wife's, and it terrifies me," said Mr. Stilinski. I shifted my gaze to the ground, swallowing the hard lump in my throat. "I'm headed down to LA tomorrow to talk to a specialist."