Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Song: King and Lionheart- Of Monsters and Men

Luke

The first fight I had been in at the fight club, which I now know is called, "Zone", was over within a minute. I had been fucked up by a guy who was a foot shorter than me. How he did it, I have no idea, but all I know is that I was on the ground, with blood pouring from my lip and a bruise right on my face. I was a joke, no one actually took me seriously. The feeling just made me mad, I was furious that the thing that was going to help me, just made me more mad.

I had begged the guy who gave me clothes and showed me that way in, for another chance but he said another night would be better. I couldn't take no for an answer, so I did something anyone would do, I threw a chair at the wall. It broke into pieces from the impact. I don't exactly remember doing it, but I know that it made me feel better. I was just so angry at myself I had to do something.

I knew I could beat the shit out of anyone in that moment, because I was so angry. The guy had been scared that I would have hurt him, so he let me fight again. I came in this time angry, which was good because that angry had helped me win. My opponent had been bigger than the other guy, but not as tall as me, I took that advantage this time. I went full force, punching the guy, getting every ounce of angry out of me. He fought back, giving me a punch or two, but I had won. He was bloody and laying on the ground because of me, and I felt victorious. Sick, you could say, but it felt right.

I won the money Austin told me about, I found out it was from the betting people did here. If you win, you get money, I didn't really care where it came from, but the victory meant much more than any of the money. I felt good and strong, way better than I had a few hours before.

That night I had slept longer than I had for awhile and it was a good deep sleep, no nightmares. Austin was right, that place had made me feel great, even if I was knocking someone unconscious; it was ridding the stress.

I usually go to Zone 3 or 4 times a week, either to fight or just to drink and smoke. I've become a regular, and I think people there like me, so I feel like I belong. I've been winning almost every fight, and ones I don't win, there are usually so close, that both me and the other guy are fucked up just as much

The only problem with this is my band finding out, because they have been questioning me for a few weeks about how I get hurt. And I obviously will not tell them, I don't want them to know about it. This place is the only thing that's keeping me sane and I don't want them to ruin it.

The nights I don't fight, are the nights were I have band practice or gig to go to, so I've been pretty busy. Tonight is one of the nights were I have a gig with the boys, and I'm excited. Not for the boys, especially not Michael, because he's been acting like a totally dick lately, but just for the music and the adrenaline I get when I'm on stage.

I arrive at the gig early, just to check my guitar for tuning issues and to get ready and dressed. I haven't had one panic attack since I started fighting, so I think this is an improvement. It's a smaller venue, one people can actually sit down at table and get a drink at the bar if they wanted. Our band is meant for so much more than a lousy run down bar, but we just haven't gotten a break yet.

When I go back into a small spaced 'Dressing Room' if you can even call it that. It looks more like a closet of an old house. I know I need to try and cover up my face from all the bruises and cuts. I've done this for every other show, ever since I've started fighting, I don't want people to get the wrong impression. I use make up I stole from my mom I feel like a loser putting on makeup, but my face is pretty fucked up. I apply as good as I can.

I make my way out to the stage to see the set up for the show. It's not as shitty as I thought it would be, it's decent sized. I see Ash behind his drums he's pretty focused, but I break that when I plug in my guitar to the amp and strum it, the chords belting through out the empty bar. The sound scares Ash and he looks up, he says something under his breath that I can't hear.