Shot down

Fire. Roars. Shouting.
Three things that happened the most.
Ezra was running after his crew as flames flickered from burnt ships.
"Fire! Fire!" A commander yelled.
At first Ezra thought he was taking about the flames but no. He was yelling to his men to shoot at the creature attacking. It had started off a normal night when an animal had been spotted coming towards the base.
It had started breathing fire at the rebels ships and base.
Phoenix Squadron had been completely destroyed.
"Ezra! Look out!"
Kanan had only just managed to pull Ezra away from being burnt alive.
"Thanks Kanan" Ezra said.
"Don't mention it. Let's move."
The two Jedi followed the others into the Ghost. Hera fired up the engines.
"Everyone to their guns! We need to draw it away from the base!" Hera ordered.
She got her replies.
"Turret check."
"Nose gun check."
"Back check."
Hera lifted the ship off the ground and took off. The animal circled round and blew another fire ball at the base.
"Oh no you don't!" Zeb growled blasting it.
The first laser got it in the shoulder. The creature roared and swung round, snarling.
"Uh Hera. I think I got its attention" Zeb said into the com as the animal flew straight towards them.
"You certainly did" Hera replied flying the Ghost to the sky.
The animal roared and tore after them. Zeb fired again and again but it dodged every shot. It flew to the front of the ship and roared.
Sharp teeth lining its gums.
"Captain Syndulla. We have a plan. Drive the creature back towards base" the commander said.
"I thought we were trying to drive it away from Yavin?" Sabine asked.
"Change of plan" Kanan told her.
The Ghost turned and flew back down to the base. The creature tore after it. Flying as fast.
"Get ready Captain Syndulla" came the commander's voice.
Suddenly, ropes shot from the ground and wrapped themselves around the animal. With a wailing shriek, the beast plummeted into the forest of Yavin.
Hera landed the Ghost and the crew walked out.
"What was that thing?" Sabine asked.
"I'm not sure but we'll need to scout tomorrow to find it and kill it. Its too dark to try and find it now" Hera told her. 
Ezra looked out to the forest.
What was that thing?