Goodbye (4)

Hongmo left Obe three days later after informing her servants of her departure to study with her Master.  She had left them with enough money for wages for five years as they promised to take care of her home.  They cried when she told them that she had to leave to become a better Poison Expert, but they would be there when she returned.  

Hongmo first left in the dead of the night to Asano's courtyard.  She had flown there and was able to sneak inside without anyone noticing.  Asano was not in his chambers, so she waited.  An hour passed, then two, when he didn't come back she left him a note.  In the middle of writing him a goodbye note, she overheard the night guards gossip as they walked his courtyard to ensure his courtyard was safe and had no intruders.  

"Did you hear that Prince Asano married Lady Masa in secret tonight to ensure they got married and didn't run into trouble again should something happen when the second date of their wedding day."  

"I did." He whispered to the other man.   "The red lanterns are brightly lit in the Lotus Courtyard.  There shouldn't be any trouble here."  

As the voices drifted farther away.  Hongmo finished her letter to him and congratulated him.  She left a single phoenix feather in the letter and folded it up and sealed it with a stamp of her house's emblem.  She left the note on his desk before leaving Prince Asano's courtyard and the memories she shared with him behind.  

Hongmo went to the Crimson Lightning Tea House and although it was already closed, she broke inside and waited for Mace inside his inner office.  Mace was always the first to arrive and the last to leave the tea house and when he opened the door to his office he froze.  He wasn't expecting to see Hongmo sitting in his seat.  Her laid back posture in his seat caused him to smile at her.  Hongmo stood up and his heart dropped.  He knew she was there to say goodbye before she left.  How long she was going to be gone, he didn't know, but he had to try to keep her close to him.  

He stepped towards her until they stood, toe to toe.  

"Stay."  He whispered.  "Stay."  

"I can't."  She told him.  "You know why."  

"I'm sorry.  For doubting you.  For...everything."  Mace said to her as his hand came up to cup her face one last time.  

Hongmo nodded her head and came close to him for a kiss.  Their lips met and a slow burn could be felt between them.  Hongmo pulled away before anything happened, afraid that she'll stay if he asked her to stay one more time.  

"Promise me you'll come back."  He pleaded with her.  "Promise me."  

Hongmo nodded her head once more before taking her belongings and left without another word. If she would have looked back, she would have seen Mace fall to his knees as his hand caught the desk to catch his fall.  She would have seen him look at her back as it walked away with silent tears running down his face.  

--------------- 

Hongmo had walked to General Hugh's courtyard and her arrival had surprised him when she called.  She was immediately invited into his office and as she sat down she was offered tea, but Hongmo declined.  

"I'm not here for social reasons, I'm here to call in that favor, General Hugh."  Hongmo told him straightforwardly.  

"Of course."  General Hugh said as he dismissed his steward to leave them alone.  

"I hope what I ask from you will be kept between us and only us."  Hongmo told him.  

"Of course!"  Hugh agreed.  "No one will know the words spoken in this room between us. Not even my wife or son will know what we discussed.  I will take this talk to the grave." 

"I'll hold you to it."  Hongmo told him as she sat up straighter.  "I need the location of Captain Vladis Lera." 

Hugh froze when he heard her.  How could he, a General of Bido Kingdom, just tell a citizen the whereabouts of a Captain.  All soldiers of Bido Kingdom were important to the safety to their Kingdom and telling someone about a soldier's location was against is morals.  

'Ask me something else."  Hugh sighed.  

"Am I asking you to break an oath to your King or your Kingdom?"  Hongmo asked him.  "Did you make an oath to protect Vladis Lera?"  

"No, but--" 

"But I saved your son and the price of saving his life is a favor.  My favor I want is the whereabouts of one, Captain Vladis Lera."  Hongmo told him sternly.  "You just tell me his location and look the other way when the news comes to you."