Chapter 13

CHAPTER 13

TRIS' POV:

I wake up 2 hours later and look up at Tobias. He's so handsome. His deep blue eyes flutter open. He notices me staring at him, and I blush, looking down. He chuckles.

"Tris, I'm sorry." He says

"About what?" I ask.

"Caleb is gone because of me. I feel terrible." He answers.

"No, Tobias. It's not your fault. It's nobody's fault. He made the decision." I tell him sternly. I feel hot tears roll down my cheeks.

"I have no family Tobias. No one." I whisper.

"Tris, do you remember what I told you after we got out of Erudite?" He asks. I shake my head.

"I'll be your family now." He says sweetly. I cup his face with my hands, and give him a long, sweet kiss.

I hear someone clear their throat. I look up and see Christina.

"Um. Do you want to say goodbye to Uri before they unplug him?" She asks, sniffling.

"Of course." I say. I get out of bed, and smooth my hair down.

I call the nurse in, and she brings a wheelchair for Tobias.

"No," He says. "I'll walk."

"Alright, but get Tris and Christina to help you." She tells him.

As we walk down the hall to Uriah's room, Christina asks, "Have you seen Caleb? I couldn't find him."

I swallow, fighting back tears.

"Uh. Um." I stutter. I can't hold them back, tears flow freely down my face. I can't take it. I run until I find a bathroom. I go into a stall and sob.

Then I hear Tobias yell, "Christina! Why did you have to bring that up? Caleb is dead!" I hear footsteps echo off the hospital walls. The bathroom door opens, and I hear Christina say, "Tris? I'm so sorry! I didn't know!"

I open the stall door, and run to Christina. I hug her, and sob into her shoulder.

"It's alright Tris. It'll be ok." Christina says soothingly.

"Ok," I sniffle. "I-I'm fine. Let's go."

When I step into the hallway, Tobias brings me into a bone crushing hug.

TIME LAPSE: 1 HOUR

"Goodbye Uri, we'll miss you." I say as silent tears escape my eyes.

I look to the doctor.

"3.....2.....1....." He says. He unplugs life support. I look around, and everyone is crying, even Tobias.

"G-Guys... Do you hear that?" I ask.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"The heart moniter! He's still alive!" Christina yells.

The doctor looks dumbfounded.

"We'll keep him here overnight for observation. You can visit tomorrow."

Everyone leaves the room smiling. Nobody talks though.

___________________________________

TOBIAS' POV:

3 days later, me and Uri are released from the hospital.

I walk back to the dorms, holding Tris' hand. Christina and Uriah are laughing at something.

"I'm going to the bathroom." Tris says, walking down the hall.

I enter the dorms and go over to my cot. There's a note on the pillow, and it reads,

Tobias,

I understand you were shot, and a bullet hit one of your vital organs. I will give you mine. Tris would've wanted you to live. I'm doing this for her. She loved you. I was basically your brother-in-law. I'm also doing this so I can be with Tris. I need her to forgive me for what I've done. Thank you for making my sister happy, and for making her feel loved.

-Caleb Prior

Oh my gosh. He never knew she was alive. Guilt takes over me, and I start shaking. How will Tris take this? How will I tell her?

Just then, Tris walks in.

"What's that?" She asks, pointing to the note that is still in my hand.

"Um. Here." I say handing it to her.

Her eyes bulge out of her head. "No." She says. She repeats this many times.

She cries out in agony, clutching where her heart is. She starts to fall, but I catch her. I cradle her small body in my arms. She cries harder then she did when she found out Caleb was dead.

I sit on my cot, rubbing soothing circles on her back.

I watch the woman that talked to Tris walk into the room.

"Tris, will you come with me?" She asks. Tris looks up, and she is in shock. She nods nervously.

"Wait! Tris , I'm coming with you!" I tell her. She looks to the woman for approval.

"He may come. I'm Riley Scott." She introduces herself, and sticks out her hand. I shake it, then entwine my fingers with Tris'.

___________________________________

A/N: Thanks for reading! Y'all are the best! <4