Chapter 57

TRIS' POV:

Tobias and I are having a small reception--more like a get together-- a few hours after the ceremony, which just took place.

"I love you." Tobias says for the millionth time today.

"I love you too." I reply, with a small smile on my lips.

I hug him tightly, and he does the same to me. I wish I could freeze this moment right here, and live in it forever.

His love for me seems to radiate off his skin, encircling me in a blanket of comfort.

A knock on the door makes us separate.

I answer the door expecting to see Christina, or Uriah, but what I see shocks me.

"Evelyn! Hi, how are you!" I say in my most polite voice, hoping she'll learn to like me.

"Tris." She spit my name out like it was venom. "Where's my son?"

"He's here. Tobias!" I call.

"Coming!"

Tobias comes to the door, and a look of shock crosses his face.

"Hello Evelyn."

She hugs him without warning, and Tobias pushes her away with a disgusted look on his face.

Evelyn looks embarrassed.

"Why do you have that on?" She asks me rudely.

"Well, Tobias and I just got married." I say with a smile.

"What?!? How come I didn't know about this?!?" She shouts, gesturing to Tobias.

"I didn't feel you should come, considering the way you treat Tris." Tobias responds.

All of the sudden Evelyn lunges for me, tackling me to the ground.

"You took my son away from me!" She screams in my face.

She pulls her fist back, about to strike, when Tobias yanks her off of me.

I definitely didn't expect that.

I get up cautiously, and watch Tobias try to calm his mother down.

"Why did you come here Evelyn? Why!" Tobias questions her harshly.

"I'm not getting to spend time with you! I got you back and you're abandoning me!" She yells.

"How do you think I felt when you 'died'? And, especially when I found out that you weren't dead? You abandoned me for YEARS!" He shouts back.

"Tobias, I had to! I had to get away!"

"What about me? Did it ever cross your mind that you were leaving your SON with the monster you had to deal with! I was beaten EVERY day! And, you didn't bother to take me with you." His voice softens on the last sentence.

"Tobias. You don't understand--" She starts.

"No, I think you're the one that doesn't understand. You left me with him, even though you knew what would happen to me." He cuts her off.

Evelyn shakes her head, and turns to leave. Tobias takes a step back, trying to put more space between him and his mother.

She slams the door behind her.

I turn to Tobias, and see he is really hurting. He looks into my eyes, and I can see that he needs my comfort.

I wrap him in a hug, and kiss his cheek.

"How dare she come in here, hurt you, and then tell me that she didn't even think about taking me with her." His eyes water.

"Tobias, she didn't hurt me. And she never said she didn't think about taking you with her." I say in a quiet voice.

"She almost hurt you Tris. Just like my father." His tears spill over now.

"Tobias, I'm fine. She won't hurt me, or you anymore."

He pulls me in for a kiss.

A knock on the door, yet again separates us.

"Let me get it this time." Tobias offers, wiping the few tears left on his face.

I walk to the door with him.

Tobias opens the door to reveal Christina.

"Hey guys! The reception will be in an hour. If you're late I will kill both of you!" She threatens.

"Ok, ok!" I say. "We'll be ready."

Christina skips down the hall.

Tobias and I chuckle.

"Let's get ready." I suggest.

Tobias nods stiffly.

"You sure you're ok?" I ask.

He looks broken.

"No."

___________________________________

TOBIAS' POV:

"No." I answer Tris.

Tears well up in my eyes.

"I'm sorry." I say trying to hold back my tears.

"No Tobias, don't be. You've been the strong one our whole relationship. It's my turn to be strong for you."

With that, I let all of my emotions spill out. I let all the tears I've held in since the beginning of the war out.

Tris leads me to our bedroom, and sits down on the bed, pulling me with her.

She hugs me tight, and I hug her back, still sobbing.

Tris rubs my back soothingly, and I clutch at her shirt for comfort.

"Tobias? I'll be right back, I promise. I have to go make a quick call." She says sweetly.

I nod, and continue crying.

I lay down, and try to collect myself. All it took was my mother visiting to set me off.

I am a coward.

___________________________________

A/N: Hey! Sorry this is such a short chapter! I didn't have too much time to write this week.

I'm planning on doing 5-7 more chapters, then the story will end. 😢

I'm still not sure if I want to write a sequel or not yet.

I love hearing y'all's input! Please tell me what you think, or if you have any ideas for the next few chapters/sequel, please let me know!

COMMENT!

VOTE!

Be brave. <4