Chapter 58

CHAPTER 58:

TOBIAS' POV:

I hear our bedroom door open and close. I look up and see Tris in sweats and one of my shirts.

"Why'd you change?" I ask sniffling.

"I called Christina and told her to reschedule the reception." She says.

"Why?" I ask.

"You don't need to go to a party right now. You need comfort."

"Tris, you can't cancel the reception because of me--"

"Yes I can. You need some time to think, and I'm gonna help you." She cuts me off.

I sigh.

Tris sits down next to me, and leans her head on my shoulder.

"You wanna talk about it?" She asks me.

"I guess."

"Ok. Go."

"I wouldn't be able to deal with both of my parents hurting you. That would make me feel guilty. Like it's my fault. That's part of the reason I'm so upset." I explain.

"Tobias, even if that did happen, I wouldn't hold it against you. It wouldn't have been your choice. You are absolutely nothing like your parents. And I mean that in a good way." She reasons with me.

"And it really hurts to see her trying make up with me. Like she doesn't know what she did is unforgivable." I continue, as a few tears slide along my cheeks.

"I can't say I understand, because I've never been through this before, but I agree with you. She shouldn't expect you to forgive her so quickly." Tris says, trying to comfort me.

I nod, still crying a bit.

I lie down, and Tris lays next to me.

"I love you." She says, staring into my eyes.

"I love you too." I say, staring back.

She leans in, and kisses me passionately.

"I think you should get some sleep." She says, after pulling away.

I nod, and close my eyes. Tris snuggles closer to me.

I wrap my arms around her, and pull her to my chest.

We're married now. She is mine forever.

_______________________________

TIME LAPSE: 3 A.M.

TOBIAS' POV:

I wake up suddenly, sweating, with tears pouring down my face. I breathe heavily, trying to stifle a sob.

I dreamt about when I found out Evelyn was "dead". But, I knew she abandoned me. In my dream, I watched her walk away from our house, in the middle of the night, without looking back.

Tris stirs, and I try to quiet down.

"Tobias?" She asks groggily.

"I'm-I'm sorry. It was just a dream. I should've been more quiet. Go back to bed." I say.

"No. I know what it's like to have nightmares, and wake up like that. I know, you're startled, and afraid. Your hearts hammering against your chest, while your fighting back tears. I wake up like that every night. You need me." She says.

"Y-You wake up like this-- every night?" I ask, shaking.

She nods.

My stomach drops.

"Oh God, Tris. I'm so sorry. You really should wake me--"

"No. It's not about me right now Tobias, it's about you. What was your dream about?" She asks.

I explain it, while new tears make an appearance on my face.

"I'm sorry Tobias. No one should have to go through that." She says in an attempt to comfort me. Tris pulls me into an embrace.

This does not comfort me at all though. I'm still bothered by the fact that Tris has dreams worse than this, every night. She wakes up, and no one is there for her. I'm fast asleep the whole time.

"Tris, what are your dreams about?" I ask hesitantly.

"The testing the Bureau did on me, and... Marcus." She whispers the last part.

"Why don't you wake me when these happen?" I ask, concerned.

"Because, you need sleep. You don't need me to wake you up every night."

"Tris, you need sleep too. And, you'd get more of it if you woke me up to help you." I say.

"No, Tobias. I'm used to it." She says.

No one should be used to this stuff.

"Tris you shouldn't be used to it! I don't like that you wake up scared and alone! That hurts you, and me!" I say loudly.

"Tobias, really. It's no big de--

"No, Tris, it is a big deal! I can't have my wife waking up like that without me!" I say.

She smiles a little when I say wife.

"Tobias--"

"Tris, you have to promise me that if I don't wake up when stuff like that happens you'll wake me up." I say, gentler this time.

"Ok...." She says yawning.

"Get some sleep."

She closes her eyes, and I pull her towards me once more.

_______________________________

A/N: Hey! About 5 or 6 more chapters until I've finished writing my first book! 😭 I really don't want this to end!

But, I have decided that I am writing a sequel, that's several years into the future. 😄

Thanks for all of your support! ILY!

COMMENT

VOTE

Be brave. <4