Chapter 14

CHAPTER 14

TOBIAS' POV:

Riley leads us into a room, that I assume is her office. Riley swiftly walks over to her desk, and sits down.

"Please, take a seat." She gestures to a couch across from her desk. Tris and I sit down.

I see Tris trembling, so I put my arm around her waist, and pull her towards me.

"Tris, I assume you know why you're here." Riley states. Tris nods.

"So, what are you going to do?" Riley asks.

"Excuse me?" I say. "What's going on?"

"Tris will tell me whether or not she wants to stay here, to endure more genetic testing." She states flatly. When Riley mentions 'genetic testing' Tris goes rigid next to me.

"She's coming home! With us!" I yell, rising to my feet.

"I-I, uh..." Tris stammers.

"It looks like you've made your decision," Riley says. "Bring Samuel in here please!"

__________________________________

TRIS' POV:

"She's coming home! With us!" Tobias yells. He stands up. His facial expression tells me that he is restraining himself from strangling Riley.

I had been so occupied with everything that's happened, I hadn't remembered to make a decision. I completely forgot about this until Riley came into the dorms!

"I-I, uh..." I don't get to finish, because Riley cuts me off.

"It looks like you've made your decision. Bring Samuel in please!" Riley says.

Samuel walks in with handcuffs around his wrists, and tears streaming down his face.

"No!" I yell.

"Sorry, once you've made a decision, it's final." Riley tells me.

"Please." I whisper.

"Nope." Riley says, popping the 'p'.

Tears make their way down my face too.

"Any last words Samuel?" Riley asks him.

"Tris, I helped you, and this is how you repay me? I HATE YOU! You are the worst-" a gunshot goes off, and his body slumps to the ground. His dead eyes stare at me. I gasp.

"You may go." Riley states, as if nothing had happened.

Tears are blurring my vision. I run into the hallway, and sit down against the wall. I pull my knees into my chest, and sob.

"Tris!" I hear Tobias yell. "Tris, what happened?"

With that, I cry harder.

"Not," *sniffle* "Now." *sniffle*

"Ok Tris, let's get you back." Tobias picks me up and walks back to the dorms.

When we get there, I am bombarded with questions. Every time someone says something, I cry harder.

Eventually Tobias, who is still holding me, yells, "STOP! Leave her alone! She'll answer when she's ready!"

Everyone backs off.

"Thank you." I say.

"Anytime." He replies.

Tobias sets me down on my cot, and before I drift off, I realize that all if the emotions I have been holding in since the war began, are all of a sudden pouring out of me. I can't take it. I can't.

TOBIAS' POV:

I'm crushed. Tris has been crying everyday since Caleb's death, and now she has this to deal with. When she's upset, I'm upset. I feel like it's my fault she's feeling this way. The worst part is, that I can't do anything to help her.

Suddenly I hear a scream.

"Sam! Caleb! No! Please! I didn't mean to! I'm sorry! Stop!" Tris screams. She thrashes around, and I run to her. Tears are streaming down her beautiful face.

"Tris! Tris wake up! Wake up!" I yell.

Her eyes snap open, and her breathing picks up. She hugs me, and cries into my shirt.

"Oh, Tobias! It was awful!" She chokes on her words, and continues to cry.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I ask, with sympathy in my voice.

"No. Later." She answers

"You should get some sleep. I'll fight off the bad dreams if they come to get you."

Tris smiles, remembering the last time I did this.

"With what?" She questions jokingly.

"My bare hands obviously." I say smirking.

I smile and lay down with Tris. I hold her in my arms, and sleep takes over.