eight

Sai

Ada hopped out of the car and walked toward us, Kaiden behind her. She squinted at the intense sun, even with sunglasses on. I figured she had a hangover, it was especially apparent when she said "Who suggested we come to a damn park?"

"What the actual hell?" I embraced her in a hug. "You good? Was that your blood on Kai's hands? Ayo Kaiden bring yo ass." I moved on from her and went to him. Nene got to get her hug in too and went over to where I was with Kaiden.

"Care to explain?" He smacked and we all went back to the seats.

"First I wanna start by saying my bad, bro. Yesterday I was tripping. Kaiden right?" Kai nodded and dapped him up.

"All good, man." I'm glad they made up because I wasn't gonna be able to get between them much longer. "I just wanna tell you I'm not interested in Sai, she's like my sister," Eli looked content. I rolled my eyes mentally; men were so jealous and petty sometimes.

I examined A and she seemed to be fine, except for a huge bruise on her ankle and cheek. "Explain right now or I'm fucking both of y'all up." Neisha put her finger close to Kai's eye. He remained quiet and looked over to A.

Her mouth seemed to be glued shut and she wasn't talking. She walked over to Kai and whispered something in his ear. "She don't wanna say it so I'm gonna," he started out. After whispering in his ear she stood behind him, looping their arms.

"Is y'all fucking?" Neisha asked, getting right to the chase. He smirked. "Not yet."

After A hit his chest he went on with the story. "She was a little drunk after three cups of vodka. She hit up Dre. He thought he was finna get a lil quickie in the car, but she said no. When she tried to get out, he grabbed her leg, he start beating on her and shit..." he pointed at her ankle. I could see the rage in his eyes. Clearly, he really cared for my sister.

As for me, I was furious too. I hate that some niggas think they're so entitled. That they deserve to have your body after having done the bare minimum. No was no was no, no matter what.

"Bitch ass nigga... Ada banging on the window and I seen them. I helped her get out and went in on his ass." He lifted up his bruised right hand as proof of the damage he inflicted.

I was shocked at the recap of events. Dre was really lucky because if Kaiden told me about it yesterday, he woulda got jumped. I don't care that I'm a woman or I seem weak, I would have handled him correctly. I guess he left the party afterwards because no one saw him after that.

He was always feeling up on women, so I never approached him. Ada was a strong girl but I could tell this had an affect on her. We embraced her in a hug. She didn't cry about it and that was admirable of her. Maybe she was holding it in, but her armor stood tight.

After she assured us she was alright, we parted ways. "Shawn taking me out tonight. But I should see y'all tomorrow." She hugged us one last time before she entered the Uber she called. 

"Sai Baby I'm finna head to the shop." He kissed my cheek.

"I thought I told you to pick a new name," Ada folded her arms playfully.

"You ain't tell me he cut hair." Kai addressed me. "Yo Eli you think you could line me up?" Eli jerked his head, signaling for Kai to come over to where he was. They talked for a couple of seconds and Eli let him know where the shop was and when he could come.

"Ight I'mma drive there in my car. A you okay to ride with Sai?" She put her arms around me and nodded as we walked to the car.

"What was Eli apologizing for?" She asked. I explained everything that happened yesterday and her mouth dropped. They had absolutely too much in common to be fighting. But in the end, I was glad Elijah put his pride aside and said he was sorry.

"Forget about that. Are you good? Seriously?" she nodded profusely and insisted she was fine. All I could do was take her word for it, but I'd still be watching her closely.

"I met his cousin yesterday too." I went on to tell her about Tia and how cool she was. She had some things about her that I saw in myself, which was part of the reason I liked her. When we got home Ada went straight to her room and sat on her bed.

It's been a while since I talked to my mother, so I decided to give her a call. I creeped up to Ada's door and peeked my head in.

"Are you gonna tell Mommy?" She stared blankly at my question. We didn't have the same mother but our families were so close I felt like I had two. I was gonna call my biological mother but nine times out of ten they were together right now. She told me she wasn't going to tell her and I respected her decision. Our mothers were crazy, and if either one of them found out that anything like this happened we'd probably have to go home. "If they ask about me, tell them I'm fine."

The phone rang twice before she picked up. "Sai, I am so mad wit' you. You have not called me in weeks!" That was so like her, not saying allowing me to greet her before she started her complaining. That was the thing with Nigerian mothers: they get mad at you for not giving the proper greeting, but don't give you time to get your words out.

"Mma I've been busy, oh." I occasionally brought out my accent to speak with her. It was to make sure I didn't forget it, I've been America for so long sometimes I have to remind myself.

We settled in Dallas as soon as we came to America and stayed with relatives. My father was a pharmacist back home, and after he got re-certified he was able to practice. At the same time, Ada's father started a home health company, and soon they followed us to the states.

A lot of my childhood was spent walking back and forth to her house. The first Sunday of every month was the day them and other family members would come over for dinners. Our mothers would stay in the kitchen and wouldn't come out until six or so, cooking traditional foods that we didn't get to eat all the time.

I was a happy kid, and though I got made fun of for my accent as a child, I never minded any of it. It wasn't until I started high school that I began struggling with my appearance. My mother and A really pulled me out of the bad spot I was in. I learned to love myself again and was genuinely as happy as I used to be.

Everything that I am today is because of Ada and our family. She was the other half of my heart, and seeing her sad hurt badly.

"Oh Sai, how is everything?" My mom was like my diary, I told her everything and anything there was to say. After talking about myself for quite some time, we chatted about the family and everything that was going on.

"I want to talk to that boy," she said referring to Elijah. Her accent was the thickest at this point because she was serious. "Yes Mma. One day you will meet him." I told her I loved her and ended the call.

I plugged in my phone and let it charge while I went to go take my shower. I wrapped a scarf around my braids and put a shower cap on, slipping into the already hot water.

By the time I was out Ada was sitting on the couch, flipping through channels. After putting on something to wear, I sat beside her. She put her head in my lap as this was our favorite position. She seemed kind of upset and I had a great idea of how to cheer her up. "I'll be back." I lifted her head and ran to my room. In the back of my closet was a heavy cardboard box. Pulling it out, I hauled it to the middle of our living room. Inside it was a whole bunch of our favorite movies, old and new.

"How bout Prince Marries Woman who Turns Out to Be a Witch?" She held up the CD and I took it from her and popped it in the DVR. "Nollywood movies are the best," I smiled, and she smiled back.