twenty-two

Sai

"Um, why isn't Elijah's number saved in your phone?" A peered over at my screen. I snatched it away and turned it off.

She gasped, "That isn't him, is it?" I remained silent. She was being extra nosey today and I wasn't in the mood.

We had been in Dallas for three weeks already and I enjoyed being back home. I missed being surrounded by my family but slowly and surely there were starting to get on my nerves. We'd been back for a while and still people from everywhere where still coming to visit us. I didn't mind house parties but in my family, guests don't leave until around 3 in the morning.

My mother thought I should still ask permission to leave the house; I constantly had to remind her that it wasn't going to happen like that. Last night Ada and I went into downtown to party with some high school friends. It was cool catching up with the people I was once close to. But that felt like ages ago, and going out with them made me miss my new group of friends even more.

A decided to sleep at my house after our adventures last night. After sleeping most of the day, I woke up around 3. I definitely wasn't going to get out of bed quickly. I wasn't in a rush and planned on chilling for the rest of the day anyway. When I woke up, most of my notifications were from the group chat. A couple from Eli, some from Carmen, and one from Keon. His number was the one that wasn't saved, but we were starting to text more and more. It was getting to a point where he couldn't be another unsaved number.

"No, it ain't him. Don't worry bout it though." I turned in the bed to face her. Now she couldn't see my screen if she wanted to.

"So who it is then?" She reached for my phone and I snatched it back quickly.

"Uhh, Kaiden said you need to text him back so get to it. While you being so nosey." A grabbed her phone off the charger and started typing.

I rolled out of bed and went to the adjoining bathroom for a quick shower. After that I slipped on some shorts and a shirt then went back out to my room. A was sprawled over to my side of the bed, scrolling on my phone. Her mouth was wide open; with a quickness I ran over and took my phone back.

She had my password but she knows how much I hate when people go through my phone. Even Elijah new better than to start scrolling without permission. "Oh nawl, there's no need to take it back now. I've seen everything I need to see."

Whatever, I didn't need to explain myself right now. So what if I was talking to another guy? Me and Keon were just friends and that's how it was going to stay.

"Me and Elijah loyal to each other so it don't even matter. He don't care who I text and I don't care who he text. It's called trust, baby. Just cause you and Kaiden can't fully trust each other, don't mean you gotta come for me and Eli."

She flinched and I knew I struck a nerve. "Oh," was all she had to say. Ada rolled out of bed and got her purse, charger, and clothes.

"I didn't mean--" her hand went up in a gesture for me to pause.

"You good," she walked out of my open bedroom door. Her feet hit hard on the spiral steps, making my mother come out from the living room.

"You girls came back so late last night- Ada? Bia, where are you going?" She rushed out to give Ada a hug.

"Aunty, good afternoon. I'm just going home, oh. Take care." They hugged again and she slightly slammed the door upon walking out.

"Chai! You have really made that girl mad," my mother exclaimed. She thought of A like her own child so of course she would know when her child was upset.