twenty-three

Elijah

Elijah

"Looks like y'all good up in here," I shrugged at the women in the kitchen. My mother pulled out a chopping board. "Wait, boy. I need your opinion. Should we do barbecue or seafood?"

We were having another one of our family cookouts, and this year it was our turn to host it. Even though it was at our house, my aunts and female cousins still came over to help cook. It was a pretty big event for us anyways. "That depends... you gon' do a crawfish boil?" Momma nodded. "That and another boil with crab and shrimps, plus all the fixings. But if we do the barbecue we finna have ribs, links, and burgers." My stomach growled just thinking about it.

"Quit drooling son! We got work to do," Auntie Carol, my mother's older sister, said. "Okay do the seafood since we ain't had that in a while." Everyone started scrambling like ants getting things together.

"It didn't matter what you said, we was doing seafood anyway." Janet, her child, smiled. "Okay JJ, don't burn the damn food." Her younger brother yelled from the living room. "Keep talking Junior and Imma come over there and beat yo' butt."

It was hard to get some peace and quiet here, but whatever. My family loud and rambunctious, so no matter what it was gonna be like this. I grew up in this environment anyway. They needed their space in the kitchen, so I went back into my room down the hall.

I sprawled on my mattress and decided to catch up on Power. I hated the way Ghost treats Tasha but I can't really be too mad. I'm doing the same shit; he out there fucking with Angela and I'm fucking with Carmen. The only difference is he actually cares for Angela, and I don't give a shit about Carmen.

Well actually, I don't know if that's true.

When Tia caught us, I thought I'd stop seeing her. I thought being reminded of my relationship would stop me from chasing someone that I knew I couldn't be with. Instead, it didn't stop a thing. I haven't seen Carmen since that day, but we still talk and text.

At first it was only for sex. She got her nut and so did I. But then, she started talking about how bad she felt for getting in between me and Sai. It felt genuine and I was finally seeing the human side of Carmen. She always said she wasn't good at answering calls but she would answer mine. Our relationship-- friendship, or whatever the hell it is-- was comfortable. And I'm not sure if I want to let it go just yet.

Tia has kept her distance since it happened. Of course I'm not surprised, but other people are starting to pick up on it. Even though she was my cousin, we were so close that people thought we were brother and sister. My cheating took a toll on our relationship. We haven't really talked or had a conversation in a while. I missed her a whole bunch, even though she was right across the hall. She also got here early to help out with the party and that's why she stay up in Desmond's room.

I could easily get up and invite her in, but Tommy was on his crazy shit and I ain't wanna miss it. I texted her:

Can you please come up in here