thirty-three

Sai

I walked back into Keon's apartment to start getting ready. I would have to go by the house after dinner since I ran out of time. Plus it's two hours from the time we're supposed to get there and I haven't even showered.

"Key? You here?" I shouted. I heard some footsteps and assumed it was him.

"Nah, why?" I rolled my eyes and walked to the bedroom.

Sliding off my Birkenstocks, I plopped on the bed. "I'm so tired, honestly I don't feel like going."

"Mhm," he started to scroll through his phone. "I was running all over Atlanta, then I had to drive to Buckhead to pick up the dresses that needed altering. I drove to my old place with Ada and walked in on her and Kai fucking.. chile."

"Yep," he responded. Keon grabbed the remote off of the edge of the bed and turned the television on. While I was talking he turned the volume on extra high.

"You really doing this lil' boy?" I side eyed him.

"I mean, I asked you the same shit this morning but you'n seem to have an answer," he shrugged his shoulders.

"Uh huh but I'm tryna talk to you."

He looked at me pouting and turned his eyes back to whatever was on the screen. "You wanna watch Friday or Friday After Next?" I grabbed the remote and turned the TV down.

It's time for me to grow up and say how I feel.

I rolled over and straddled him, completely blocking his view of the television.

"I'm sorry okay?" He blankly stared back at me. "What that mean?" His nonchalant attitude was causing me to shut down even more, but I know how lack of communication can ruin a relationship.

I tried to peck his lips but he pulled back. "Nah we gon' get through this without kissing. Your ass addictive," he smirked and ran his hands through my hair.

"I wanna be with you, and only you."

"Then why do I feel like I side piece?" Keon spat back. He was angry and had every right to be. I searched for the words that represented how I felt.

"It's crazy how you pulled me out of something I never even thought I would make it out of. He told me that he loved me and he would do anything for me. He was the first person that ever made me feel any more special than I already was. And for him to lie to my face. No, for both of them to lie to my face. For her to even start being my friend..."

I took a deep breath; my voice was starting to sound shaky.

"Then to hop into another loveless, toxic relationship. To a point where I hated myself and who I was. There were days where I no longer desired to live," I sniffled and grabbed his hand. "But then there was you. And I know shit sound sweet as fuck but I'm being forreal. You changed me for the better. I can't be sure that I would be here today if you ain't ask me to chill with you after work. Or if you never asked me on that first real date. One thing I do know is that I'm not ready to give this up."

"So I said all that romantic shit to say that you're the only person in my life. I put that to rest today. There's no one else besides you. And I'm sorry if I ever made you feel like you were second place. I wanted to wait for the wedding to pass but then I realized that time not going to stop for me."

I wanted so badly to say I love you. But I know that I always rush things, and I want this time to be well-deserved. I can't sit here lying to him and telling him how much I loved him. That would make me just as bad as Elijah or Desmond.

He kissed my lips softly and ran his thumb across my cheeks. "My bad ma I ain't mean to make you cry or nothin'. That meant a lot to a nigga though.  You finally letting someone in," I rolled my eyes and wiped my face some more.