twenty-six

Elijah

Elijah

I passed the blunt over to Bree and leaned back.

"If it's bothering you that much then do sumn 'bout it. If not, shut the hell up."

She took a long drag and breathed deeply. After blowing the smoke out she inhaled it back through her nose. This was something we did pretty often, but I never got tired of seeing her do all them damn tricks with the smoke.

"I ain't yo' maid, Eli. It's cool though, cause if I say I won't come back until it's clean in here, you gon' start cleaning."

She was right. Bree was cool to be around and whatever I could do to keep her company, I would do. She could take my mind off things whenever I needed it. Sometimes it felt like she was the only person I had left.

She tried passing the blunt back but I shook my head and laid back down. "Man whatever."

The room returned to silence, other than soft R&B playing through her speaker. She had her playlist hooked up to it. I liked some of the songs but for the most part I wasn't listening.

My attention was on her.

She wore one of my crewnecks and it fit her body loosely. Underneath she had on some tights. Her natural hair was in a puff on the top of her head. A curl had fell out of place but she tucked it back in. I licked my lips.

She didn't have to be doing anything, yet everything she did was sexy.

"Where yo' head at?" She asked.

To be honest, I didn't know. These past couple weeks felt like I been going through the motions. I was just doing. Tia and I were trying to fix our relationship, but that would take a lot longer. I ruined her friendship with Sai and was a disappointment. Everybody moved on with their lives and ducked off. We aren't as close as we used to be, and that hurts.

When I'm with Bree I can kind of make sense of things. The weed sets me up and she does the rest.

"I'm tired of playing, Brielle." She put the blunt out and stood, stepping over random things to sit next to me. "This is why we need to clean up," she chuckled. Bree leaned up against me and I wrapped my arms around her.

"You know where my head at. Why I gotta say this every time?"

She sighed and looked up at me. Her attention went back to her phone and she chose another song. "We been over this."

"Man, me and her have been apart for months. Let it go. And y'all don't even talk anymore. Why we can't be happy?"

The truth was, I liked Bree.

I had seen her as a friend for the longest. Sai and I were over for real, and it was starting to become real. Bree tried to help me get back together with Sai but I gave up. That ship had sailed long ago. We would probably never get back to how we used to be, or even talk at all. But I can't sit up here and waste my time chasing someone who wants nothing to do with me. I loved Sai, but those feelings were gone.