twenty-eight

Sai

Sai

"I'm leaving now," I said grabbing my purse.

"Lemme come witchu'," Des hopped up from the seat and put his jacket on.

He wants to go with me everywhere. He always wants to know where I'm finna be at and who I'm finna be with. He gotta know when I'm leaving and coming back. His controlling behavior is stressing me out, but I haven't said anything. I don't want him to put his hands on me again. "No, Des. I'll be fine."

He nodded his head and hugged me. "Alright, I love you," he kissed my forehead.

"Yeah." When I hear that, it truly makes me want to laugh. This ain't how you treat someone you say you love. But he'll get angry if I laugh, and even angrier if I don't say it back. "Love you too."

I grabbed my keys and locked the door behind me. I let the engine start up a little bit while I texted Keon.

otw.

The fact that I have to sneak around to see any of my friends is trifling. Apparently, Desmond doesn't like them. I can't even go see Ada without him getting annoyed. And he swears up and down that they're bad for me, when in reality he is the one who is toxic.

I know all of this, yet I still stay. We have a lot of good days, and every time I think about ending it I am reminded of all the time we've spent bonding. I remember how happy I was with him before I moved in.

He got controlling after I got the keys to the house. I know if I ask to move out, he'll ask too many questions. I'll just deal with it for now. If I would have known from the start this is how he acts, I wouldn't have ever moved in. I wouldn't have ever let it get this far. Now I'm stuck and it seems there's no way out.

I navigated through downtown's busy streets trying to get to Keon's studio. He asked me if I would chill with him during his break, and since I haven't seen him in a while I decided to go. Of course, I couldn't tell Des where I was actually going. As far as he's concerned, I am at the mall.

The last time I had visited the studio was when I was with Elijah. And now that I think about it, I never did get our pictures printed.

Sometimes I wish I would have stayed and worked things out. Maybe we would have gotten past the cheating and lying. I don't know and I don't like to think about it.

I turned left into the parking lot and into the building where his studio was. There were only two vacant spots, and I quickly backed into one. I grabbed my stuff and went inside.

The place had changed just a little; a new paint job and some different furnishings. They were kind of busy today, as the room was almost full. Just as I was about to text him and let him know I was inside, he came from behind some curtains.

"Man you needa' just stay here. Look at all these people waiting to get they picture took." He looked all around the room.

"Can't focus with you on my mind, Sai. I missed you." He pulled me in for a hug, and I could still smell that same minty, fresh breath. I chuckled.