nineteen

Sai

"You remember that first night I met you?" He asked.

It was clear as day. The same excitement mixed with nervousness buzzed through me even now. "I couldn't stop staring at your hair. It's gone now," I replied. I missed the mane but the waves suited him well.

"It was something about you I wanted to find out. And don't think when I saw you on campus it was an accident. I stood in your way on purpose."

I put my glass down. "So I dropped all my stuff because you wanted to see what was up with me?" I chuckled at him. Guys do the most sometimes. He literally could've just asked for my number but he wanted to do it another way. This shit was straight off of Disney Channel.

"Yeah, I know. It was very uncalled for," he shrugged, "but I had to find a way to talk to you. And plus you loved my hair."

"Anyways we started texting. You had a nigga checking his phone to see if you replied." I blushed. When we were in those talking stages I didn't think he was obsessing over it like I was. He was good at texting back but I definitely was not. It slipped my mind most times and had nothing to do with me not wanting to talk. "A nigga was hurt, sometimes you left me on read." I chuckled and sipped my wine.

"Nawl, you was just sprung."

"And then I almost lost you because I was fucking up. I swear imma never put you in a position like that again. I was scared of messing up, so much so that I messed up even worse. That lil time without you was hell," I took another sip of the wine.

"I gotta admit, you wasn't finna get me back." He nodded. I acted strong like I didn't need him, but on the inside I was going through it. I missed his touch, his voice, just being around him. Late night conversations on the phone, joking about how close we lived. Texting nonstop. Him asking for selfies because he missed my face. The attention that I craved. All things he provided that I lacked in that time we were apart.

"And I hate the fact that I hurt you. Me thinking I was protecting you was a lie. I couldn't see it but all I needed to do was come clean and tell you why I was acting that way. Honestly, you shoulda slapped my ass or something." I chuckled at that one. I can name a couple of people who would've made it physical if they were in my position.

The waiter came back and took our orders. I chose a plate of seafood and he got a steak. Other people at their tables had the most beautiful looking food, so this was sure to be good.

"But anyways, I felt so empty. I would seriously wake up and think you were right beside me or in my kitchen and yell out something like baby come here or whatchu' wanna do today, ma. Just to remind myself: nah nigga you fucked up." Eli poured more wine into both of our glasses. There were some mannerisms I picked up while being with him that I had to let go when we got into it that day. I understood completely.

"I had to make it right I just ain't know how. Of course I couldn't do it by myself so ya girl Neisha hooked me up a lil," he said. I knew Neish had something to do with us 'running into each other' on my day out with the girls. "Yunno she's like everybody momma, so she straightened me out. You better explain it right because you only got one chance," he mocked. That was so Neisha, always tryna fix everything.

"When I saw you that day, man I felt like I got ran over. So much shit was running through your eyes at once: sadness, anger, happiness, hopelessness. You missed me but you hated me for wasting your time. I made you happy but you hated my guts. That hurt a nigga." Hearing his testimony did something to me. I never realized I could be read so easily, or that he was hurting just as bad as I was. I felt inconsiderate for not knowing my actions were impacting someone else other than me.