thirty-two

Sai

"Mhm, yeah. I hear you babe," I nodded along to what Keon was saying. I wasn't listening at all, but of course I wasn't gonna tell him I ain't feel like talking. I just wanted to get as much sleep as possible before the wedding tomorrow.

There's still so much I have to get done today, even before the rehearsal dinner. I have to check in with the wedding planner, stop by the house, get the wedding gifts together... and that's not even all. Though I was gonna be busy I still wanted to make time for him so that he knows how important he is to me.

All that partying has me tired though, even though it was four days ago. I feel sluggish and hungover even though I barely had anything to drink. Every time I think of Dre, I gag. Just thinking of what I let him get away with makes me itch.

"Yo, and that's why I don't shower nun but twice a week. It keeps me musty," Keon stopped in his tracks. The towel wrapped around his waist showed his V-line and bare chest. And while I wanted him badly, I just was not in the mood. Any type of physicality turned me off.

"Cool," I replied dryly.

He walked over to his drawers and pulled out some gray briefs. "That's how I know you haven't heard a damn thing I said, Sai." I breathed heavily, annoyed, and rubbed my temples.

"I'm sorry, I just..." I trailed off. I honestly couldn't explain how I felt right now. Who knew so many emotions could flow through a person at one time?

I'm so happy for my best friend. She's starting a new chapter in her life that I get to be a part of. Plus, I think I will be an auntie soon. Our group is slowly coming back together, and though some people still won't be in my life, I am so ready to have my girls back.

Confusion. My feelings for Keon are stronger than I thought they could be. I want to see where this goes with him, but I am afraid to leave Des. I want my life more than anything, but I don't know if I can risk it by being with Keon.

After putting on some shorts and a t-shirt, he sat next to me on his bed. "Don't think I haven't peeped."

"Hmm?" I thought I was doing pretty well at hiding how I feel. I mean, nobody noticed how Des was treating me.

"Hmm looking ass. Stop fucking wit' me." Out of anyone I have ever encountered, Keon has probably done the best job at reading how I feel. Which is a blessing and a curse.

"You not going to put on no lotion or nothing? I got some Jergens in my purse," I said. Anything, anything at all to change the subject. Having all the attention on me was making me anxious.

"Nah, dead allat. Listen to me," I finally looked over at him and focused on what he was tryna say. No more half-assing the conversation.

"I been trying to wait it out. I thought maybe if you had a little mo' time you could be honest wit' me. Yo, it's been a cool three days and I'm not getting the same vibe from you, Sai. Let me know wassup."

I didn't want to tell him anything. I didn't wanna say anything to anyone because I know what they would do. And right before the best night of a woman's life? That would be selfish of me.

"Nothing, I'm just tired. Wedding's tomorrow," I lied. He scrunched his face up.

"See what I'm talmbout? Lil dry ass responses.. did I do sumn'?"

"No."

"This bout what I said about being public?" Nope. I agreed with him when we had that conversation. I want to be with Keon but first I need to break things off with Des. And I don't plan on telling him why I've stayed with Desmond for so long even though I'm unhappy.