THIRTYNINE

"you're fighting me off like a firefighter so tell me why you still get burned, you say you're not but you're still a liar." | Astrid |

"Looks like a Scooby gang meeting." Klaus chuckled next to me as I pulled my car up to the side of the road, and as I glanced up at my rear view mirror; shortly followed by Damons car.

I quickly got out, Nik copying my actions. I watched Damon and Bonnie exit their cars also and we all started walking towards the gang on the bench outside the school with a nod in acknowledgement.

"What are we doing here?" I asked Damon and Bonnie.

"No idea...ask Stefan." Damon sighed.

"Stefan what are we doing here?" Bonnie asked, taking a stand next to me.

"We're finishing the memorial we didn't get to have earlier. We need to start healing." Stefan replied as he handed out paper lanterns.

I accepted two from Matt and passed the other one to Nik, he raised his eyebrows in amusement.

"We've all lost so much, especially recently. We're numb to it. We push it away-make a joke out of it-" Stefan paused to look at me, I just put my hands up in defence with a smirk, he smiled back.

"-ignore how we feel. We never just let ourselves grieve." Stefan finished with a long look towards elena.

"So you want us to light lanterns?" Klaus spoke up, amused by Stefans little speech.

"Yeah. Yeah we need to do this." Stefan replied a bit antsy since Klaus wasn't necessarily apart of the 'Scooby gang'.

"What we need to do is find out who this hunter is and what he knows about the death of the council. We have more important things to be doing right now than this." Damon snapped, not really understanding the need for us all to do this.

"Not tonight we don't." I quickly defended Stefan.

I thought his reasonings behind this was really sweet and it will be good for us all to do this.

Damon stared at me and scoffed in disbelief that I would be backing Stefan over something as silly as this.

"This is for my uncle Zack. My Friend Lexi. For Alaric." Stefan stated ignoring Damon as he lit his lantern up and handed the lighter to Matt.

"This is for Vicky." Matt choked out, we all smiled at him in sympathy; except for klaus, as he handed Caroline the lighter.

"This is for my dad and Tyler's." Caroline spoke softly, staring at the ground as she lit the lantern.

I inhaled deeply as the atmosphere became very heavy.

"This is for our parents. For Vicky. Anna. Jenna and Alaric." Jeremy got up from the bench, taking the lighter from Care.

"Right okay." I breathed out as I accepted the lighter from Jeremy.

"This is for Jenna and Alaric, Finn and for me." I mumbled as I lit the lantern, I felt Niks heavy gaze on me.

I finally reached his gaze as I held the lighter out for him to take, silently begging with my eyes for him to join in.

He stared at it for a few seconds before sighing and taking the lighter.