1 | New Life

"You like?" Lexi asks, closing the door to the new apartment. Derek surveys the area; a kitchen stands attached to the living room, and one bedroom door sits near the back. He glances into the room to see one large bed and a fairly big bathroom attached.

He turns back to Lexi and grins, "It's perfect."

A small smile forms on her lips as she walks over to him, wrapping her arms around his neck as his hands plant themselves on her waist. "I'm glad you like it."

A frown creeps onto Derek's expression. "You're not still thinking about what he said, are you?" He asks softly. Lexi looks down, licking her lips. "Lex, listen to me." He cups her face with one hand and tilts her head up so that he is looking into her eyes. "We got out. We left Beacon Hills and all of the bad memories behind us."

"That does not mean his words didn't hurt," she mutters.

"Forget what Peter said," Derek tells her. "You, Lexi Adams, are not alone. I will never leave you or hurt you. Peter only said those things so that you would help get him out. So that you would trust him. You can't let his words get to you."

Lexi nods, swallowing dryly, before putting on a smile. "It's all behind us. I promise."

"Good," Derek smirks, a mischievous glint in his eye. She tilts her head to the side questioningly, waiting in anticipation. "Because that means..." He trails off, bringing her body flush with his. "That all we have to think about is each other."

"I see." Lexi giggles as he starts to press soft kisses along her neck. "You want to break in the new apartment." He leans back, his smile reaching his eyes. "I might need some more convincing." She teases, moving her hands over his thin t-shirt.

He quirks an eyebrow before an idea hits him. He smirks as he picks up Lexi, bridal style. She lets out a squeak of surprise as he starts to walk towards the bedroom. She laughs in his arms before kissing him, making him stop in his tracks. "I thought you wanted more convincing." Derek pulls back.

"I'm convinced." Lexi breathes out before their lips connect again, and Derek shuts the door to the bedroom behind them with a small kick.

—|—|—|—

South France, 1002

"Kol, are you quite done?" Elijah groans, eyeing his younger brother feeding on a man. Kol rolls his eyes, dropping the body. The rest of the family drags other bodies into a pile to be hidden.

"Oh, bother, Elijah! Is all this truly necessary?" Kol inquires.

"Brother, the road is a major thoroughfare— if the bodies are found, word of our presence will spread to Mikael." Elijah reminds him impatiently.

Hiding her own fear, Rebekah, seeing Lexi look down, grabs her sister's hand."We have run through autumn and winter, through sleet and snow..." Rebekah shakes her head. "Are we cursed to forever live in fear of our father?"

"I should say yes, sadly," Finn replies.

"Finn, please!" Elijah looks back to Niklaus who is petting a horse. "Niklaus—"

"Do we have any idea where we're running next?" Rebekah complains, her hand tightening around Lexi's.

"Why not just do what we've all thought of doing?" Kol suggests. "Split up!"

"We swore a vow!" Lexi exclaims, anger, fear, and sadness all evident in her expression.

"Your vows haunt me more than Father himself!" Kol scoffs. "At least he can't chase us all. I say we take our chances." Both Niklaus and Lexi glare at Kol, who never shrinks back.

"Perhaps Kol is right—" Finn says after a moment.

"Thank you, Finn!" Kol smirks. "You know, I've always said, 'Oldest is the most intelligent—'"

"Stop talking." Finn snaps before turning to Elijah. "I take no joy in our assent, but I do wish to sleep in a bed. To bathe in a bath, to feed on proper food. If we divide—"

"No, brother." Lexi interrupts. "We swore a vow." She glances between Kol and Finn, a disappointed expression on her face. "What would you do if Mikael had found us? Killed one of us while you both were half way around the world?" They both look down under her withering glare. "Family above all. Alway and forever."

How did you like the first chapter? Not much is happening, but get ready! It'll pick up in the next few chapters!! Hope you enjoyed!