50 | Bear Witness

Derek and Kol stand at the base of the stairs, assembling the multitude of weapons on the table. Lexi had instantly called Derek to bring over any weapon he could find. She couldn't even be mad when he brought Cora.

Cora's reaction had been to glare at Lexi and stomp up to Freya to help. The wolf didn't want to be around her brother or the Original. Not now.

As Lexi walks down with Elijah, Klaus joins the group at the table. "Freya's tracking your sirelings now," Kol informs Klaus. "So it won't be long which works for me. I could use a good fight." Kol picks up a crossbow, an arrow already knocked. He lets the arrow fly, not noticing its direction.

When it slices into Lexi's arm, she just shrugs. Derek glares at Kol, "You do that again, I'll join the other side just so I can kick your ass."

"I'd love to see you try," Kol snaps.

"Don't worry, I deserved it," Lexi waves it off, leaning against the staircase.

"We have an advantage," Elijah says, moving the conversation along before Derek could react to Lexi's statement. One thing he had learned about the couple is how angry they got when their counterpart thought of themselves as unwanted, or undeserving, or, most specifically, when they thought of themselves as monsters. That was unacceptable. "No vampire may enter this stronghold as long as the deed remains in Freya's name."

"So what? We hide here while the enemies mass at the front gate?" Kol scoffs.

"If they are so determined to die at our hands, let them come," Klaus states.

"See if you still think that way when they actually get here," Derek retorts.

All five of them look up when they hear something drop to the floor on the story above. Lexi straightens up as several heartbeats reach her ears. She places a hand on Derek's arm, muttering, "Go upstairs. Find Cora, Hayley, Hope, and Freya. And get out." Lexi glances at her brothers. "I don't care if it's through the bloody windows. Get everyone out. And stay away."

Derek clenches his jaw, squeezing Lexi's hand before he rushes off.

Lexi and her brothers stomp into the main room of the compound to see it flooding with vampires. The hundreds, if not thousands, of vampires surround the Mikaelsons. Elijah discreetly steps closer to Lexi. She's the only mortal one in the room. And everyone knows it.

One man, followed by more vampires, saunters into the compound, his expression full of utter hatred. Lexi's breath gets caught in her throat, and she glances down at her hands.

"Never thought it would come to this. But as always, the Mikaelsons made my choice for me," the man preaches, coming to a stop after circling the group of Originals.

"Marcel," Klaus breathes, his eyes full of awe. "How?"

"How are we in your home?" Marcel asks. "I have friends who can nullify a deed, foreclose on a property like that," he snaps. Lexi is able to contain a flinch. "Or did you mean," His dark eyes move to Lexi's. "How am I not a rotting corpse?"

Klaus does his best not to glance back at Lexi, who Elijah is standing right in front of. "I thought my friend was dead, and yet here you are," Klaus says, stepping towards Marcel. "So send these fools away, and let's talk. You and me."

"Is that relief I hear? Really?" Marcel spits. "If I hadn't been one step ahead of you, I would be at the bottom of the river."

No one had heard her come up. Klaus doubts even Elijah noticed her disappear from his protective stance. "Marcel," Lexi states, standing right in between the vampire and the hybrid. "Your anger is with me. I'm the one responsible for this crime against you."