44 | Warning System

Saint James is filled with the sounds of tears. The light streaming in through the window seems like a disgrace to Davina's memory to Kol as he sobs, trying to contain himself. He can hear people laughing outside of the bar and all he wants to do it rip them apart.

Across the room, Davina lies in Cora's arms. The young wolf has tears regularly streaming down her cheeks but almost no sounds escape her lips. Derek stands over her protectively, his eyes moving between his grieving sister and Kol.

Lexi has been pacing since she had called Marcel. She hasn't had the time to mourn her friend, let alone help Cora. She also cannot bring herself to confront Kol.

They had been stuck in the bar all night, no one speaking to anyone else. When Kol had tried to reach Davina, Cora had almost ripped his head off. Lexi was afraid the wolf would actually kill someone.

Derek had restrained her, but there was not one person in this bar that had not wanted to kill someone. The urge had lessened, but they are all mad at everything. At every laugh they hear, every drunk who stumbles by the bar.

Lexi hesitantly sits next to her brother, neither saying a word. Minutes of silence pass by before Lexi almost gives up and leaves.

But then Kol moves his head up.

And speaks.

"What did I do?" He chokes out. His brown eyes meet her blue ones. "What did they make me do?"

Lexi stares at him for a long moment, each heart beat breaking as Kol hears them. Then, she sighs and looks down. She grabs his hand and squeezes gently.

Before she can speak, a familiar scent reaches her nose. She spins around in her chair as Marcel storms in, his eyes already brimmed with tears.

He stops in the middle of the room, his eyes on Davina's corpse. He slowly approaches Cora, kneeling down beside her. He reaches out before pulling away and turning on Kol. "What are you doing here?" He demands, stomping towards the Original.

Lexi stands, her hands pushing Marcel away from murdering her brother. "The Ancestors had a hold of me. I-I was out of my head," Kol tries to explain. "I tried to make it stop. I made her dagger me." Derek can see Lexi's shock flicker over her face before she conceals it. "Nothing worked!" Kol exclaims.

Marcel lets out a war cry, speeding over to Kol. Marcel throws Kol across the room. Kol doesn't even fight back. "I loved her. I swear I did," Kol says.

"Get up," Marcel orders. "Get up!" Kol obediently stands. "This is New Orleans. Witch spirits can be brought back from the dead, so that's exactly what we are going to do."

Lexi's lips part as she takes a step back. Both Hales know what she is thinking, what her undying belief about death is: What is dead should stay dead.

"We are going to bring her back," Marcel declares.

The room goes silent before Lexi speaks up. "I'll call Vincent," she whispers. Derek's head snaps up so he can look at her.

"I thought—" He begins, taking a step forward.

"It wasn't her time, Derek," Lexi says softly. "This death was manufactured. It will not go unpunished."

And then the waiting begins anew. Cora stares at Lexi the entire time as both the wolf and Marcel call Vincent over and over and over again. Something in Cora's expression makes Derek uneasy. Something changed with Cora.

After what seems like forever, Vincent walks in. He takes one look at Davina and freezes. After another minute of silence, he turns to Lexi and Marcel. "Ok, we got to get her consecrated right now. If we don't, we can't even attempt to get her back."