45 | Excellent Runners

Lexi, Hayley, and Klaus stand in the middle of the woods, all huddled around the phone. None of them can scent anyone for miles, and should someone happen to stumble upon the group, that person might find themselves without a head.

"What do you mean you know how to kill Lucien?" Lexi demands of her sister.

"As long as Davina is caught between worlds, I can use her as a conduit to channel the Ancestors' power," Freya explains. "The same power that was used to create Lucien. Once I have it, I can make Lucien killable again."

"So, do it. What's the problem?" Hayley asks.

"Everything comes with a price."

"What's the price?" Klaus' grip on the phone tightens.

This time, Elijah answers, "In order to take power from the Ancestors, you have to steal it. Freya would have to draw through Davina, breaking the circle that protects her."

Lexi goes very, very still.

"And you are certain that this power will be enough to kill Lucien?" Klaus asks, his voice rough.

"Yes," Freya says. "But we'd be placing Davina is terrible danger. The only thing protecting her from the Ancestors is my circle. Now, if it's broken..."

"They'll rip her apart, Freya," Lexi snaps. "She's just a child."

"What choice do we have?" Elijah sighs.

"No," Klaus shakes his head. "Find another way. If we destroy Davina, we lose both Kol and Marcel, possibly even Lexi and the Hales. I won't have us all turning on each other. Keep looking."

The phone line goes dead.

No one talks as they load Rebekah's coffin into Klaus' truck. That is until Hayley refuses to stay silent any longer. "You did a nice thing today, Klaus." He turns to her with a quizzical expression. "For Davina, who you hate."

"It was a purely strategic decision," he says. "I assure you."

"Maybe," Hayley drawls. Lexi can tell this is all part of a larger conversation. She doesn't want to be apart of married bickering. "Or maybe you knew that Cami cared about her and would have wanted you to fight for her."

Klaus stays silent for a very long time. "You know, I thought I told Camille everything. Every moment that mattered from my past, and yet, in the mere hours since she died, I've thought of a thousand things I forgot to say."

"Yeah, I know the feeling," Hayley mutters as Klaus closes the trunk of the car.

"Do you?" Lexi snaps, not realizing the words falling from her mouth.

"Excuse me?" Hayley crosses her arms.

"Because the prophecy is still upon us. Elijah's immortality suddenly seems quite fragile. Talk to him, Hayley. Stop waisting your time." Lexi doesn't look at her as she speaks.

"How would you know what that feels like?" Hayley demands angrily.

"Because I missed my chance, and Derek slept with two sociopaths," Lexi exclaims, turning on the hybrid. "I missed my chance, and Derek almost died. Twice. Every time I have missed my chance, I have regretted it. It hurts. It builds and builds until your feelings are all you think about. Am I wrong?"

Hayley stares at Lexi with her mouth open as they pile into Klaus' vehicle. Lexi sits in front, refusing to look at anyone. Hayley stares down at her phone. Klaus stares straight ahead.

Only once does he glance at his sister. "I'm sorry I made you miss your chance," he says quietly.

"I've forgiven you," Lexi murmurs.