12 | Negotiation

"When Aurora wakes, you will convince her to return my sister," Klaus states, shoving Tristan into an armchair. Derek stands back, watching silently.

"Oh, if only it were so simple. Aurora has made it clear she means to control her own fate." Tristan scoffs. "I presume that includes keeping her own counsel, as well."

"I think she might be more amiable if she's forced to watch as I tear you limb from limb." Klaus shrugs. A flicker of fear passes through Tristan's eyes.

"You could torture me, but even if my sister decided to return yours as a result, Rebekah's homecoming would be marred by The Strix, who would descend upon the city like a plague of locusts, killing whomever stood in their way."

Klaus looks back at Derek who shrugs. The hybrid turns back to the vampire with a neutral expression. "Violence is unavoidable, then. Well, I tried!" Klaus lunges forward only for Derek to stop him.

"Not what I meant by the shrug, Klaus." Derek grumbles.

"Just think, Niklaus. All these threats, this needless escalation of violence? We play into the worst possible outcome of this prophecy. There's a better solution," Tristan says.

"What might that be?" Derek responds for Klaus, trying to ignore his glare.

"We cannot prevent fate, but we can take control of it," Tristan replies, seeming content with the attention. "Keep your siblings alive by helping me seal them away. Let them fall— only for the year— and leave yourself free to stand guard over them." Derek glances at Klaus to see him considering the option. "If you care for them at all, it really is your only choice."

Klaus pulls Derek away and into the doorway. "You're not actually considering it, are you?" Derek asks. At Klaus' silence, he scoffs. "Typical. You know Lexi would hate you forever, right?"

"I'd rather have her hate me than let her suffer the loss of us all." Klaus mumbles. "You should go, mate."

"I'm not leaving until I find out what the hell this guy wants," Derek growls.

"It's quite simple, actually," Tristan speaks up. "I want to talk to Alexis."

"No," Both of them answer.

"I have a right to discuss my recent...memories with the one who took them away, don't I?" Tristan inquires.

"Let's get back to the problem, huh?" Derek states angrily. "If Klaus kills you, Aurora will retaliate, and she's the one who has Rebekah."

"Not to mention the object of Klaus' depraved desires. Yet," He turns to Klaus, "Despite all your time together, you hold no influence over her. I do. And, once Elijah's safety is assured, and thus mine as well, I'll convince Aurora to hand Rebekah over to us."

"And, were I to dagger Elijah, were I to lock my brother in a box, that would fulfill two-thirds of the prophecy, leaving only little, old me." Klaus ponders. "Perhaps you think I'd be an easier target if I were alone?"

"That's not the first time you'd have let siblings slumber while you toil on. And, in a year, when the prophecy has passed and each of our fates secured, you may wake them at your own leisure if you so choose."

"That's very bold of you, to suggest I betray my own blood." Klaus chuckles. Derek resists commenting, only because he hates Tristan more than Klaus. "Perhaps I should kill you right now?"

"Well, there is one thing I know which you do not, with regard to your beloved sister," Tristan states, glancing at Derek. "You see," He walks in between the two men, happily gaining all of their attention. "When my sister dropped Rebekah in the ocean, she had others do it. Meaning, she herself does not know exactly where she is. But, Aurora has managed to procure the exact location of Rebekah's watery grave in two sealed envelopes. Hers contained the latitude, and mine had the longitude. Thus, each of us has one half of the coordinates you need to find your sister. Assuming, of course, you keep us both alive."