8 | Making Their Move

"Look, Hale. I appreciate you coming with me to get a coffee, but I can handle myself," Hayley states in exasperation.

Derek rolls his eyes and stops her. "Could you stop being a bitch for a second?"

"Hmm, let me think. No." She deadpans.

"Listen, I get that you're upset with Lexi for not finding out how to turn you human, but we were a little preoccupied trying to not get killed." Derek reminds her. "Remember you're not the only problem she had, and, please, never say you can handle yourself in front of her because she will go off on you quicker than Klaus would if you took Hope away again. Trust me, ok? She hates when people say that. Especially after Allison."

"Sorry. Sheesh." Hayley mutters as she starts to walk again. Derek sighs, shaking his head before he catches up to her. His phone rings, and he quickly answers it.

"Hey, Lex," he says, smiling slightly. Hayley gags at the cheesiness without bothering to listen to his conversation. "Yes, I'm fine. I'm with Hayley. We'll meet up with you soon." 

He suddenly stops, his hand wrapping around Hayley's arm. He moves his head slightly, motioning to a man following them. "On second thought, it might be awhile until we can meet. Call you later."

He hangs up the phone and Hayley nods in understanding. They both walk over to an alley, glancing over their shoulders occasionally. As the mystery man walks into the alley, he narrows his eyes, seeing no one. 

A paint can rolls towards him, prompting him to stop it with his foot. He takes a few steps forward before pausing, sensing someone behind him. "You're not very good at tailing people," Hayley states.

"Are you?" Derek adds, digging into the man's sense of pride. The man uses his vampire speed to run behind them.

"My talents lie elsewhere," He tells them. Derek punches first, causing the man to jerk back. Hayley kicks out only for the man to duck. She brings her elbow up as he grabs it and pushes down. A sickening crack sounds as Hayley cries out. Derek head-butts the man to get him away from Hayley. 

The man grabs Derek's shirt and throws him into the wall, his hand wrapping around Derek's throat. Derek coughs before Hayley punches the man in the face. His hold loosens, allowing Derek to grab his wrist and bite down hard as Hayley bites the man's neck. The man screams out and both wolves advance.

Meanwhile, Lexi and Freya sit at the bar upstairs as Elijah prepares a drink with his blood for the girls' hangovers. Elijah hands them the drinks, saying, "Drinking with Rebekah. Always an adventure."

He walks over to some sketches Klaus drew of the prophecy. Freya walks over, sipping her drink, as Lexi plops on the couch, her hand on her forehead. "You seem more annoyed than usual," Freya observes.

"It's Aurora," Elijah tells them. "Her influence frightens me. And yet, our hideously-deluded brother seems to think that she may be the key to ending this wretched prophecy."

"If she's aligned with Tristan, Nik has no chance," Lexi states.

"And still, he believes that she can be swayed. Although, his perspective of family loyalty is schizophrenic at best."

"Well, I don't understand why Lucien and Tristan are working together. Aren't their sire lines direct enemies?" Freya questions.

"Well, a mutual lack of goodwill toward our family might not be entirely unjustified," Lexi mentions sheepishly. Freya's expression turns stern as Lexi looks at Elijah.

"Hatred's a hell of a thing, Freya." He sighs.

"Why? All you did was sire them. They don't seem to be complaining." Freya grumbles, settling next to Lexi.