18 | Battle Preparations

Derek wakes up in bed to the sound of commotion. He glances over his shoulder to the open window. A lone bird sits at the edge of the balcony, chirping away. Past the bird, Derek can see Klaus and Elijah talking heatedly.

He turns over to find an empty bed. He furrows his eyebrows and sits up, looking around.

His eyes move back to the Mikaelson compound to see Lexi walk up to her brothers. He closes his eyes and tries to focus on what they are saying.

"...After the Serratura is recovered," Lexi says, sighing. "Freya has also told me that her pendant is missing."

"And Finn's mystical essence along with it. So let the imbecile stay lost! Our business for today is to finish off the de Martels!" Klaus shouts.

Derek opens his eyes and gets out of bed, walking over to the window. He notices Elijah's concerned expression but also realizes Lexi's lack of reaction.

"Now, brother, think." Elijah pleads. "Think. Tristan needs the most powerful witch in the city to activate that weapon. A Regent."

Klaus sneers, starting to storm out. "Vincent. One who was possessed by Finn—"

Lexi grabs his arm as he passes her, stopping him instantly. A look of confusion passes over his expression, quickly replaced by anger. "Stay here," she orders. "She needs you now more than ever."

Klaus stares at her before storming out of the room. Lexi rolls her eyes and stands. Before she can leave, Elijah stops her. "What happened last night?" he asks.

She pauses and thinks for a moment before responding. "Question for a question. You get one and I get one." Elijah nods hesitantly before pouring himself a drink. "Rebekah came to me because her mark had regrown. She asked me to dagger her and I did. My question is..." Derek can tell Elijah isn't content with her answer. "What exactly happened to Camille?"

"From what Niklaus says, Aurora compelled her to slit her own throat silently," Elijah says.

"So, Nik's girlfriend is a vampire now? Hmm." Lexi purses her lips in concentration.

"Are you alright?"

Lexi laughs. "Everything is just perfect. Why wouldn't I be ok?" She mutters to herself as she walks out.

"I don't know."

—|—|—|—

Vincent stands above the Obi witch he had just killed. Holding a Regent hostage is never a good thing to do.

A vampire comes up behind him. Before he can act, he is on his knees, waiting for death.

Suddenly, the vampire arches his back and gasps. He falls to the ground to reveal Lexi Mikaelson holding his heart. "Vincent." She greets cheerfully, dropping the heart. Elijah walks up behind her, offering a handkerchief for her bloodied hand. She walks forward as Elijah stands over him.

"We should chat," Elijah says.

Only then does Vincent realize why Lexi went behind him. By the time he turns around, Lexi is already holding Finn's pendant, a smirk on her lips.

Vincent sighs in defeat. He sits up and leans against one of the numerous tombs in the cemetery. "I don't know what to tell you. You want your big, bad Serratura, you're going to have to go after Tristan because he took it with him."

"After he made you activate it." Lexi points out, playing with the pendant in her hand.

"Deactivate it," Elijah demands, pacing in front of the witch.