52 | Gone

Warning: an f-bomb is dropped. Be warned.

Enjoy!

Everyone gathers in the living room. Kol is asleep on the couch, Freya and Cora beside him. Lexi and Derek stand off to the side. Hayley and Elijah sit at the table and Klaus paces.

Derek's eyes are only on Lexi's shoulder. When she catches him staring, she just takes his hands in hers, turning to him fully. "Derek, stop staring," she whispers.

"Sorry," Derek mumbles, moving his eyes to hers. "Why isn't it healing?"

"I don't know," Lexi sighs, glancing back at Elijah and Kol. "But it's not affecting me the same way. I'm not dying. At least, not painfully. Maybe it's because I'm not a vampire anymore. However, they are."

Everyone's eyes snap up to Klaus when his phone begins to ring. He instantly picks up, opening his mouth. Before he can speak, the person on the other end begins.

"Nik, it's me," Rebekah says. Lexi tenses, her heart beating slightly faster. Her grip on Derek tightens. "There's an army of your sirelings eager for blood. Marcel has them set to tear apart the city to find you, but after a brief chat, he's considered an alternative. Though I think it might be worse. He wants you to come back here and stand trial for your sins."

Lexi and Elijah both go rigid. Lexi steps towards Klaus, dropping Derek's hands. Elijah stands from his spot. Hayley, on the other hand, looks frozen.

"Before a jury of those who hate me the most?" Klaus scoffs. "Like hell, I will."

"If you don't, this mob will hunt you down. And given their current frenzy," Glass breaks in the background. "I can't imagine they'll show any mercy to you or anyone standing in their way."

Klaus' eyes move to Hayley and then beyond her where he meets his daughter's eyes. He hangs up the phone, knowing that everyone knows what the situation is. Freya can infer from the multiple expressions.

"It's not a trial. This is suicide," Elijah states instantly. "Take Hayley, take Hope, take Alexis and the Hales, get the hell out of the city."

"I'm not going anywhere," Lexi snaps.

"No, we won't leave either." Hayley shakes her head.

Suddenly, Kol jerks up, screaming, "No! Davina, please! No, don't leave me!"

Freya, Elijah, Hayley, and Cora jump up and retain the subdued Original. Elijah soothes Kol, trying to quiet the pain filled pleads. None of them notice as Lexi walks up to Klaus, pulling him to the side. Derek is the only one watching.

"There may be a way to save them," Lexi whispers, her voice rough.

"Then I will move the world to make it so," Klaus vows.

Lexi searches his eyes for even the slightest hesitation. "I need time and Freya's help."

Klaus almost flinches. "You think I should stand trial before that death-dealing mob?"

"That's the easy part," Lexi states. By now everyone is listening, and she knows it. "In order to save our family, you need to come out of that trial alive."

"Alexis," Freya slowly stands, her eyes wide. "What are you planning?"

Lexi stares right into Freya's blue eyes. "It's the only way to get enough time. You know what we have to do."

Cora glances between the sisters as Freya lets out a choked sob. Lexi stays strong, her shoulders tense. "What do you mean?" Cora demands.

Lexi ignores her, turning to Klaus. "I need your blood," she then turns to Hayley. "And I need Rebekah's dagger. The rest is up to you, Niklaus."