30 | Spiral

"It was him. It was Gaspar Cortez," Klaus rants, his eyes filled with panic. After a rather unnerving conversation with Cami, Klaus had caught a glimpse of a vampire who is known for a dark side.

"I assume this is someone from your box of letters?" Freya sighs, glancing at the open box.

"The youngest son of a particularly vile family of warlords I dealt with in the 17th century," Klaus explains. "Lexi hated him. Especially when he tried to court Rebekah."

"Didn't they burn that philistine pigsty into the ground?" Elijah deadpans.

Klaus scoffs, offense written into his expression. "Pigsty? Belaga was my favorite artist retreat! Someone had to pay for that, so I murdered Gaspar's brute of a father."

"And?" Freya prompts, her eyebrows raised in a very Lexi-like fashion.

"And one or two—"

"Five," Elijah cuts in, sending Klaus a look.

Klaus rolls his eyes, "Five of his bloodthirsty brothers."

"Don't forget the mistress."

"That was an accident!" Klaus exclaims.

"The point is that Gaspar was but a footnote," Elijah says, turning to Freya.

"Until he became a vampire, hell-bent on hunting Lexi and me," Klaus adds, holding the bridge of his nose.

"Alexis? What did she do?" Freya asks, her expression worried. Lexi had barely started talking to her again and had not even begun to heal. She does not want anyone ruining it.

"Well," Elijah tilts his head to the side. "When she made it clear that he was not to pursue Rebekah, he pursued her."

"Long story short," Klaus begins to smirk. "She threatened to make him spend eternity without his 'favorite, little body part.'" (A/N: Anyone read the Throne of Glass series? Yeah... I'm currently obsessed with anything and everything Sarah J. Maas related)

Freya tries to hold back a laugh but fails miserably. "She called it little?"

"She called it a few more vulgar things," Elijah sighs fondly. "She was particularly upset because his courting had ruined her attempts to woo the mistress."

"The point is," Klaus interrupts. "He is a cunning deviant, known to compel hoards of the helpless to aid him with his tasks. You see, this is exactly what I was concerned about. Devils of all kinds, crawling out of their crevices to strike at me."

He pauses, turning his head slightly as his ears catch onto footsteps. One sniff tells him exactly who is stomping into his home. "Speaking of which..."

Klaus speeds down to the entrance as Davina starts in, her eyes determined. Klaus pins her against a support beam by the shoulders. Her eyes flare with anger. "Rather foolish of you to come here alone," he smirks.

Suddenly, Klaus is tossed off of the girl and thrown across the room. As Klaus gets to his feet, he freezes entirely at the vampire beside the witch.

"She didn't come alone, brother," Kol returns Klaus' smirk, tilting his head to the side.

"And do well to remember what she has done for you, you ungrateful dog," Lexi says, her expression neutral.

Klaus stares at them in shock, not noticing Freya and Elijah behind him. "Now, Nik, I mean, you did go after my girl," Kol shrugs.

"It can't be," Klaus breathes.

Davina steps forward hesitantly. "It's Kol. When I broke your sire link, it created a surge of power."