32 | Family Quarrel

The Mikaelson compound is a mess of anxiety and concern. Kol fidgets in his spot before the fireplace, his leg bouncing. Elijah stands behind the couch Cora sits at. Lexi and Derek are opposite Cora, the beta's arm around Lexi's shoulders.

Lexi leans forward, trying to take in what Kol had told them. "Are you absolutely sure?" She asks, her voice barely rising above a whisper.

"I saw him with my own eyes," Kol replies. "Finn must have come back when Davina resurrected me. The spell was tied to the blood of the Mikaelson line. Either it worked on him, or he found a way to hijack it. Either way, the only how I care about right now is how long I'm going to make him suffer before I kill him."

Kol begins to paces, his mind working a million thoughts a second. Elijah extends a hand. "Restraint, brother. For now."

"Why?" Kol hisses, his anger threatening to show.

"Kol's right," Cora speaks up, crossing her arms and leaning back on the couch. "Finn's probably the one spreading rumors about missing white oak. He's luring Klaus' enemies out of the woodwork."

"It could all be part of some tedious revenge fantasy," Derek adds, his hand moving to Lexi's. She squeezes tightly, clenching her jaw.

"You're wrong," Freya states, walking into the study and leaning against the desk. "Those rumors of white oak began before either Kol or Finn returned. Finn's innocent."

"Innocent?" Lexi snaps, her eyes flickering red. "He is far from innocent."

"Pardon me, love, but Finn tried to kill the rest of us more than once!" Kol exclaims. "He is an enemy of our family."

"He is our family." Freya glares at Kol for even suggesting Finn be an enemy. "Finn's return is an opportunity to mend old wounds and fix what's broken."

"He didn't just drop a bloody vase!" Kol yells.

"He murdered Kol," Lexi reminds them, standing from her spot as she drops Derek's hand.

Elijah glances between his two youngest siblings and his oldest. "You seem certain..." Elijah trails off, his mind torn. On one hand, Finn had betrayed them all. He had hexed Kol, played sacrificial lamb when Esther wanted them dead, poisoned Lexi and channeled her, and so much more. On the other hand... Freya believes in him.

"Are you honestly siding with her?" Cora demands, her eyes wide.

"You are only talking because you always side with Alexis," Freya snaps. "You have no opinion other than hers."

"I'm not stupid, Freya. I know what Finn's done. Shall we do a recap?" Cora sasses, loving the anger flash across the witch's face.

"Elijah," Lexi calls, making him turn to face her. "Finn did more than just murder Kol. Not once since you removed that dagger has he showed us that he is our brother. Not once. I believed in him, and he made me watch Kol die, again. Three times, Elijah," Her voice barely cracks, but Elijah hears it. "He made me watch, again."

Elijah turns back to Freya, whose anger had dissipated. "Alexis is right. Time and time again, Finn has demonstrated nothing but contempt towards his family. So, you tell me— how can you be so certain that he would return to us in peace?"

Behind him, Lexi goes rigid. Her nostrils flare and her eyes widen. Derek stands, his hand on her arm. He silently asks what's wrong before the unfamiliar scent reaches him. When he turns to the door, his blue eyes surface. He takes a step in front of Lexi, his muscles tensing.

Finn leans against the doorway, his arms crossed. "Our sister knows me well. Though, perhaps you're right to doubt my intentions. By all means, let's discuss our family quarrels. I believe we're long overdue."